3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
importkiller76
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vibration

It feels almost like driveshaft imbalance, or bad u-joint to me.
That is a definate possibility. I've put such a slight bend in a driveshaft that you couldn't tell just by looking at it, but was bent enough to cause a vibration. I'm not sure about the Dakota's but I used to have a 90's GM 1/2 ton, and it had very much the same vibration you are describing, except that I would drive it for two weeks then crack the tailshaft of the tranny. It first happened right after I put a new tranny in that truck after blowing the original. I had a shop put in a new tranny and it cracked, then another, 4 trannies and lots of warranty later they finally figured out that it was driveshaft that wasn't quite spinning true......lots of time, money and work for such a small repair!!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Lil Blue322
Veteran

Im guessing im having the same problem...when im traveling at about 50 or more im fine...when i start to brake the truck has a hard vibration at or about 40 mph's then goes away towards 35 mph's...would this be the same problem...if not wat could be the problem?

thanx 4 any imput guys

Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you I'm thinking brake rotors, mine does something similar and I know the rotors are warped, only happens when braking though.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Snoviper
Rookie

Mine was shakin bad at 60MPH and above. I had it to the dealer and I had to have all four wheels rebalanced, I also have one tire that is really bad. The vibration is almost gone, I think the bad tire is still causing some of the vibration. They also found the rack and pinion unit and tie rod ends bad, those parts are on order. I was suprised the rack was bad at only 34,000 but I did originally have the bad tire on front for a short time. I also had them replace the brakes and rotors as they were causing the shudder while braking. You may want to have the tires and wheels checked for balance, this was only $50.00 US at the dealer and may be cheaper at other places.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

This is Bull Sh*t new trucks or newer truck and cars should not have issues like these. That's why you buy a new vehicle!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM
viper359
Professional

sdsdsd;

I could not have said it better.

Does anyone know if the rotars are covered under the powertrain warrenty?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

ihad vibration crap when i first owned my truck but after a while it went away for some odd reason. I think it was caused by my rear drums.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:50 PM
NJJer
Veteran

I just had a customer truck in today with an "all over" vibration when braking. Same as mine had done in the past. (more later on that)

Was not the fronts as warped rotors can be felt in the stering wheel.(no runout also on the dial indicator) So I go and check the rear drums. I get going about 50mph, hold out the parking brake release, and step on the parking brake. No vibration felt.

So off come the rear wheels. What do I see? Those retainer clips from the factory that hold on the brake drums as the truck moves along the assy. line. Take off the two from each wheel, and the vibration is 100% gone.

The above also happend to me,twice. Once from the clips. but it was also from my new wheels not being tightend down evenly. Now I start every lug by hand and rock the wheel side to side and make sure it is sitting against the drum or rotor before I put the wrench to it.

Hate to say it, but these little basturds can be very finicky with the little stuff.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 AM
hlpruner
Amateur

I agree "finicky"! I'll be pulling those clips off tonight!

I started with a simple pulsating/ vibrating issue when braking (assumed to be front rotors). Now I have an all-over shaking at 60-70mph + braking vibration.

History: SinceI'm pastthe 3-36,I decided to justorder a setof plain front rotors & metallic pads. Replaced them and after a short test ride, the vibration was still there.OK, must be reardrums, right? Off come the drums and down to the local shop to havethem turned.One was OK, it took only one pass to put a fresh cut on the drum (i.e. not warped). The other was unbelievably out-of-round. It took 4 passes to round it back out. Since I could not find rear brake shoes for05-08 Dakotas in any local parts stores, I figured I'd drive with the old shoes and more than the likely thevibration would be less. How does it ride now you might ask?Like crap! It vibrates at 50-75mph and feels like the tires need balancing & still has rear brake shudder. Obviously the tires were OK when I started last week. WhenI performed the rear brake testing (holding the parking brake released lever while applying the parking brake), I foundthat they vibrated seriously bad.... Bingo! “Very finicky” indeed!

I'll be pulling the rear drums as soon as I can findsome aftermarket shoes. None of the local parts stores have shoes for the 05-08 Daks and one indicate that they couldn’t even order them (very unusual for Advance Auto). When I ask how much if they were available, the screen indicated $115. “Not Available” & “$115” , you gotta be kidding me! I'd orderdrums too if they were available because I'm sick ofthe rear braking vibration.....

I’m determined to nail it down!

hlp

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
MoparPower00
Rookie

So are you saying by removing those retainer clips (for the most part) will take away that vibration? Cuz I've got it terrible going down the interstate at 65-75, as well as braking. I've been just trying to figure out if it's clips, rotors or tires! Driving me NUTS!

Quick Reply: Vibration