3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
NJJer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vibration

Pull them damn clips off!

Also, when you install you wheels, make sure that the "star pattern" is upside down. As in you have a single lugnut at the very bottom at the 6 o'clock postion.

Start that one first, about 3/4 of the way.
Then start every other one.
Once all are started, snug up the first one you started all the way you can by hand.
Continue with the others, rocking the wheel side to side so that the lugs fit completly into the taper on the rim.
Once all are as snug as you can get them by hand, use a TQ wrench and tighten them in a star pattern.
I start off with 35lbs, and then go to 70, then finish up with 100. This is the setting I use for my wheels.
I also re-tq at 50, 100, 500 and again at 1,000 miles just to be sure. Twice is enough, but I am stupid **** about things.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
viper359
Professional
Default RE: Vibration

Well, to close this thread off, the damn vibration has left and not come back. I did nothing. Well, I did get pissed off and on the exit ramp from the highway, stood on the brakes and let is shake like a wet dog. I have no idea what was causing the vibration and why the truck felt like it would shake into peices during what I can only term as violent shaking. The type that if you did it to a baby, you would be in jail for.

I do know this, either I got a horseshoe up me *** or just pure fluke, it has now stopped. Thanks for all the input!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
captainb8

Sorry to reopen this thread, but it's the best one I could find that matched my experiences so far. Here's the deal:

I've got an '05 dakota with just under 52K miles. A couple months ago I started getting a shaking/shudder around 70mph (just driving; not braking). Sometimes it was pretty violent other times not so much. I occasionally would experience it at slower speeds too. If I had to brake while it was shaking/shuddering, it seemed to make it worse. It would honestly feel like the truck was just going to fall apart.

However, I don't drive it much, so I put off taking it in. Two days ago, I finally took it in to the dealer. It took all day of them test driving it and diagnosing before they determined that the brake TSB (05-004-05) needed to be performed. Here's the work they performed:

machined/re-surfaced rear drums
new rear shoes
machined/re-surfaced front rotors
I also had them remount all 4 tires so the white lettering would be facing in, as a result all 4 tires were balanced

I pick up the truck yesterday and get on the freeway to go home. About 10 minutes or so into my drive I have no shaking/shuddering. All seemed well...although I could only get up to about 60-65mph with the traffic. Then, I have to hit my brakes...and what do I feel? I get a shake/shudder as I'm applying the brakes. I also get a pulsating feeling in the brake pedal (which I didn't have before the repair).

I call the dealer and explain what I'm experiencing. They put me on the phone w/ the mechanic. He claims the problem is my tires. He says they're worn and that's what's causing it. The tires have about half the tread left, but two of them do have some pretty bad wearing on the sidewall (thanks to the wife scraping the curb every time she parks it). He then tells me they've had one other dakota come in with the same problem and they performed the same repairs, but the owner also replaced her tires and that took care of the problem.

What are your thoughts? Since they machined the drums and rotors, I can't imagine anything would still be warped at this point. Should I buy his reasoning that it's the tires? I just dropped $500+ for the repairs and I don't really want to drop another few hundred on new tires if I don't have to. I think I'm going call a couple other dealers and get their opinion.

Sorry for the long post!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:13 PM
dryice

I have An 06 Raider 4x4 Quad cab 4.7, and although it my feel like the brakes it turned out to be the frt axles and bearings. My truck only has 24000 miles on the clock and was self diagnosed. Called Mitsubishi, they call the dealer, they put it up in the air and I grabbed the axels and they moved forward and back, way to much play for a vehicle with 24000 miles. So they where replaced along with the lower ball joints and the outer tie rod ends, That looked perfect but move around when you move the tire in and out while holding the tire at 9 and 3. with tire off the ground. The speeds I felt this at was between 55/70 mph, and very noticable at 60/65mph.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Work a deal with them that if the tires are replaced and the problem still exists, they put your tires back on for free. Or switch them front to back and see if the vibration changes or goes away. If so, it's probably the tires. Does the wheel shake?

Or it could be any number of other problems. Report back after you try the tires.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Sounds like a stuck caliber piston. A caliber piston will vary and not always be stuck at all or at varying travel with in the boar. This could account for the intermittent and variable vibrations. Also a ball joint staring to go bad will cause this sensation. The thing about a ball joint going bad is it get worse very quickly as it get to a certain point.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM
captainb8
Default resolution

just to follow up, I took my truck to back to the dealer to have it looked at and again they claimed the pulsating brake pedal and shuddering were due to my tires. So I took it to a second dealer and the problem was my front rotors...not my tires as the original dealer claimed. They had excessive runout (warped) and were to thin to be machined, so they had to replace them. I'm guessing they were too thin when the orignal dealer machined them last week. In any case, I'm glad I didn't waste money on new tires only to still have a pulsating brake pedal.

Last edited by captainb8; 06-18-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
DundeeBoy

Originally Posted by viper359
Hello There,

Got a question that is starting to **** me off. My truck as of late gets this awful vibration from front to back while driving. Sometimes, when I put the brakes on, I get this same vibration. HOWEVER, it only lasts a minute or two, then goes away, for a of time. Sometimes, days other times hours. Speed is usually highway but it does happen on city driving. I do not think they are two seperate issues, as when the truck has that awful vibration, the brakes do it too. The vibration gets so fierce that things in holders rattle and make an exessive amount of noise.

Any thoughts and suggestions..... Starting to really annoy me.
check your wheel bearings inner and outer.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
captainb8

Originally Posted by ericemery
so it did fix the problem?

or dont you have it back yet?

(I cant imagine rotors took them all that long to do... took me around an hour in the garage...)

Yeah, I got it back. Fixed the problem completely.

Quick Reply: Vibration