3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Equipping to Tow

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equipping to Tow

Has anyone equipped their truck that came from the factory without a tow package, with a brake controller and 5/6/7 pin trailer connector for towing with electric brakes? I can't seem to find a wiring harness for trucks that came without a tow package. For the $250 or so it would cost to get a hitch and controller, if I could find a solid harness it would be a reasonable investment to get my truck ready to tow properly.

Any info on this?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Equipping to Tow

My truck did NOT come with a factory hitch or harness. I purchased the mopar hitch and mopar harness for the truck at the dealership. The factory harness does come with a trailer brake wire that you have to run through the firewall and into the cab. Considering the amount of time (on average) that you would be towing vs. the towing weight, you could weigh the cost vs. benifit of getting a trailer brake controller. This is also taken into consideration from the type of trailer and components that you would be towing (trailer brakes, etc.).

How much weight, trailer type and components, and how often would you be towing?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

As of yet I have no trailer and no real plans/need to tow, but I was just curious to find a source and price for the necessary components. How much is the Mopar wiring harness?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:02 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wiring harness retails at $179.00. My shop gets a considerable amount off of retail, though. The factory harness has the wire for the brake controller, 7 way round connector with mounting solution, and 4 flat connector.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:33 PM
WvChamp
Rookie

"As of yet I have no trailer and no real plans/need to tow, but I was just curious to find a source and price for the necessary components."
Cramerica, Don't forget to have a Trans Cooler installed. Also IF you do end up towing alot....Don't forget to have ur Trans Fluid flushed/replaced every so often. If you see the fluid on the stick start to turn color (to brown) and start to smell different...FLUSH IT. Your tranny will thank you.(and your wallet)

Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I am a self respecting man, so I drive a stick.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: WvChamp

"As of yet I have no trailer and no real plans/need to tow, but I was just curious to find a source and price for the necessary components."
Cramerica, Don't forget to have a Trans Cooler installed. Also IF you do end up towing alot....Don't forget to have ur Trans Fluid flushed/replaced every so often. If you see the fluid on the stick start to turn color (to brown) and start to smell different...FLUSH IT. Your tranny will thank you.(and your wallet)
Good call on the trany being flushed,you might want to get the additional trany cooler,oil cooler(MFG calls it an engine cooler) I wouldn't bother getting the larger alt or battery,unless that is you want it.

Blu_

Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

3.92s don't come with the tow package from Dodgeat least not if you have the 6sp. manualyou can only get the 3.55s.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:51 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I don't understand the need for a transmission cooler on a manual transmission. No fluid coupling, no slip, no heat generation.

Also, running the 6 speed in 4th is almost identical to running 3.92's in 5th down the highway. 3.92's would obviously be a little easier on the clutch when launching and would provide stronger acceleration. For occasional jobs, I think my drivetrain is fine.

Quick Reply: Equipping to Tow