3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Trailmaster leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 04:50 PM
NJJer
Veteran
Default RE: Trailmaster leveling kit

Believe it or not, taking the tierod off does help things move around a bit.

I see your problem we the top a-arm. I don't even remember mine giving me any trouble, only the bottom was a little stuborn.

I wish someone was with me to take pic when I did mine. I was just too filthy to even think about grabbing the Fuji.

Maybe someone close will want it done and I can help them with it and get pics. Show a few pointers and tricks I guess you could say. If not, then when I do my new struts I can do it.

Old 07-10-2008 | 07:20 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

If these pics will help you explain any I have some of the front suspension before spacer install, all in this album: http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...%20Suspension/ Unfortunately I didn't take any during my failed TM install attempt (short version is the nut on top of the strut was cross threaded so I had dealer warranty it and install the kit at the same time)

Old 07-10-2008 | 08:31 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Well, NJJer it sort of was the lower a-arm as well. We just couldnt get the ball joint on the upper to meet the lower. With the strut re-installed 1.5" longer, no ammount of jacking the lower a-arm up or prying the upper a-arm down could get them to meet. It most likely could have been done if we compressed the spring and then the strut....but that doesnt explain how you got an even bigger spacer to fit without having to do that.

It's too late anyway, he doesnt think the leveling kit is worth the headache now. Got any pics of your truck lifted 3.25 inches??

Old 07-10-2008 | 09:14 PM
NJJer
Veteran

MW, I have only one in my gallery at this moment. I have more, just need to get around to adding them. There are also 3 pics on the Mamba Wheel website of the truck. I forget which ones.

The 3.25" was when it was just done, from the ground to the center of the wheel opening. It has settled some, yet still is about 3" total in it.

Keep in mind in my pic, I have 2" blocks in the rear also. I tried more than a few stances with the truck, and this one I like the best.

FYI, the truck is 2wd

EDIT: I got the spacer to fit by first installing the top of the strut, then the bottom. I also loosened the lower a-arm. With it loose it will move more than being tight. When tight, the bushing really hold it back from moving. That and some WD helped it move. Also, I did remove the tierod end. Trying to remember what all I did. I know I had to remove some casting flash from the lower arm too.

Quick Reply: Trailmaster leveling kit