3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Trailmaster leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008 | 08:58 PM
vitovalencia
|
Default Trailmaster leveling kit

Hi, I have a 2007 crew cab, 4x4 Dakota,
I purchased the leveling kit but I have not installed it yet, I want to ask if it changes the ride a lot, I kind of like the way it rides. Thank you.

Old 06-25-2008 | 10:13 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Default RE: Trailmaster leveling kit

It makes the ride a bit stiffer but overall it still rides like a waterbed

Old 06-26-2008 | 12:06 AM
wyattc329
Veteran

I was about to purchase this as well, those who have it installed, would you recommend it? My plan is to level it, then do a body lift for it.

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:30 AM
RonnusTwo
Professional

After reading numerous posts regarding the TM level kit and also our wonderful front struts for our Dakotsa, here's what I htink:
I have the TM kit already but never swapped the struts as they were not available at the time. I believe they are now available, and I wish now that I would have had them done already.
In my opinion you should do both at the same time to save in labor, you'll probably be much happier in the end.

Old 06-26-2008 | 03:17 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Dont even bother with it.

I think i was one of the first guys to put the TM kit on my 2006 dakota on this forum. I also found a 2" block kit that worked for the rear of the truck, threw on 265/75 tires, and got a total of about 2" in the front, 2.5" in the rear. The truck rode a bit worse, and handled quite a bit worse, IMO.

I had the kit installed for about a year and a half. My steering rack began to leak, dodge saw the leveling kit and said, we will replace the steering rack for free, just come back with the kit out first.

So....I took it out. To be honest, I dont even see a huge diff. Its only 1.5" lift (the tm kit alone)

I don't think 1.5" is worth the worse ride, the chance a front end claim will be denied at the dealership, and the money it cost for the kit.

Go the 3" body lift route.

Its just not worth the work, time, and money for 1.5"

I have a 4x2. But i know there have been one or two 4x4 guys on here that installed the kit, took there truck out on the trail, and under any flex the front end started to pop-pop-pop when engaged in 4hi/4low. I dont think our front end can afford any extra stretch.

I year and a half ago I would have been all for lifting this thing any way, and any how, but its not worth it.

I can post pics of what it will look like when you install it, and you can be the judge, but its a minor diff.

Old 06-27-2008 | 04:36 PM
vitovalencia
|

well Im intrested in leveling the truck, what about lowering shackles, anything bad about them? I dont want to lose hauling capacity, does it need shorter shocks?

Old 06-27-2008 | 05:10 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

I think superdak and frenchy have there rear lowered with lowering shackles from ebay. I have never really done that before.

Maybe they will chime in.

Old 07-03-2008 | 05:02 PM
vitovalencia
|

TM leveling kit is on, Ive installed it yesterday, I did notice a change in ride but its good, a little stiffer but its not bad at all, also I feel the steering wheel a little bit stiffer too, dont know why. It took me about seven hours to put them on, I guess Im slow at this, I used acoil spring compressor from autozone, no problems at all, it says on the instructions that can be used on springs up to 3/4 inch, my dakota has 3/4 inch springs, so I was at the limit but it was smooth. to take the nut off the strut I put a ton of wd40 and let it soak for about 15 min.
Another thing is that CV joints are at an angle now, hope not to have a problem with this, Ive installed the kit the new way, inside the spring not on top. THX

Old 07-03-2008 | 07:20 PM
themoneyshot
Rookie

congratulations! 7 hours is like a blink for me. i ruined sway link (that took 3 months to come in). could not get that top bolt off. so put stock back in. oredered the monroes in march came in last week.last saturday i sawed the old struts off. took the strut ,coil, and tm to the only shop open at 3. he was too scared to do it. i got the coils together finally and will install tomorrow. probably in time for the ball joint to go bad and have to do it again.

did you get an alignmrnt?

Quick Reply: Trailmaster leveling kit