3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Head Unit Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 AM
MauiWowwee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Question

I'm looking to replace my stock stereo unit soon. My truck is a Club Cab ST. I was told by a local shop that I would have to purchase an extra wiring harness in order for the new radio to work. Is that true? I looked up on Crutchfield and they have two different harnesses available and they also list that it's required. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 AM
wyattc329
Veteran

You do have to buy a new harness unless you wanna start cutting your wiring harness. Not recommended.

Usually the difference in the harnesses is whether your truck has infinity or not... (correct me if I'm wrong, spitballing here)

What CD deck were you looking at?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 AM
MauiWowwee

I'm looking at an Alpine deck or a Pioneer. I do know that you have to purchase a wiring harness to eliminate cutting the factory wires. I guess my question was kind of vague. What I meant to ask is, if there was another wiring harness on top of that one to purchase in addition to bypass a factory amp? That's what Crutchfield has listed on their website. Correct me if I'm wrong, only the Infinity equipped Dakota's have a factory amp correct?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crutchfield does not always know what they are talking about, when I was looking at upgrading the head unit in my dad's 02 Infinity Ram they tried to tell me that every single speaker had it's own amplifier connected near it that would have to be cut out and rewired... I'd still like to know what they were smoking that day, must have been some good stuff...

Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
accessguru

I'm also looking to change out my deck. Crutchfield says I need to spend $130 for a harness. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...x?i=541CHYAH05. Is this just for the ACC wire? Can you just get a "normal" harness and plug into the lighter? If my only option is to spend $130 for a harness...I'll stick with the factory deck.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
whiteram00
Captain

does ur factory have the infinity or not

Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
Crutchfield does not always know what they are talking about, when I was looking at upgrading the head unit in my dad's 02 Infinity Ram they tried to tell me that every single speaker had it's own amplifier connected near it that would have to be cut out and rewired... I'd still like to know what they were smoking that day, must have been some good stuff...
Some trucks came with infinity speakers that did have an amp on the back of each speaker...

Quick Reply: Head Unit Question