3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

TM Leveling Kit...NEW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
That doesnt make sense. It sits on top of the strut, without disasembling the strut? Thats like a Ready Lift 2" lift, or any of the other ebay private shop 2" leveling kits.

I thought with that setup, that it messes up stock geometry because it drops the entire strut down 2". I thought a 4x4 would bind with that setup?

Wasnt that the whole issue in the first place?
that's what I thought when I read this..

Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM
tankmechus
Rookie
Unhappy

OK, so now I'm totally confused! I sent an email to TM to ask about which kit is better and why, but haven't gotten a reply yet. So everyone here saying that the kit that installs inside the strut assembly is the better kit? You can still get 2" inside-the-strut kit on aftermarket sites, but when you order from TM, you only get the new 1.5" kit. The instructions on their site is for the 2" kit though. I'm not sure which one to get now. Guess more research now.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally if I were doing it again I'd get the same kit I have and put it inside the strut. I've had no problems with my kit and it stiffened up the ride since it preloads the springs.

If you think about how the strut is designed the strut can only extend so far. By putting something on top of that assembly you're spacing the whole thing down and allowing the suspension geometry to go beyond stock at full droop. By placing a spacer inside the strut you get the increased height by preloading the spring, the stock travel does not change and the suspension geometry is kept within stock parameters, the truck just sits higher in it's range of travel than normal due to effectively stiffer springs.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the kit ever lifted the truck 2" did it? Was'nt it always 1.5" reguardless of which way you installed it? I see some people saying 1.5" and some saying 2".

I had my kit installed the Original original way, with the longer bolts, and it was only good for 1.5".

Someone just needs to try the 3" front end kit from AIM industries. I know they are terrible customer service. But for the sake of finding some sort of decent lift, some1 has to man up and get the kit (not me lol)

Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 AM
tankmechus
Rookie

Well, I finally got a return email from TM. They said that at first they believed they could get 2" of lift in the front, but then had numerous complaints. They said the new 1.5" lift had fewer problems with ball joints and suspension components. They also said that any kit that you get from them from now on will be the 1.5" kit, 2" kits from some aftermarket companies are just some of the leftover stock of the old leveling kit.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least they addressed the issues. Sounds safer then ever.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

So the question is, should I have them installed into the coil towers or have the material shaved and put them above them??

Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is all based on the conversation I had with one of the tech guys at TM. You have the option to locate the spacer EITHER above the strut assembly, or above the spring (stiff). If you decide to locate it above the strut assembly (like I did, unknowingly) you will gain 1.5" in lift. This will increase cv angle although I have not had a problem yet. In order to install it above the strut assembly, you need to use the available hardware kit to replace the fixed, splined studs.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having installed mine in the strut I think it improved the ride decently. Helped a little bit with the waterbed feeling. Next summer I'll probably be doing new shocks.

Last edited by Altair; 09-26-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: TM Leveling Kit...NEW!