3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Truck died.. dealer clueless! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
bluedak06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Truck died.. dealer clueless! Help please!

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I posted on here but I have not gone all that far.

I posted around 6-8 months back about how my mileage has begun to decline. I bought the truck and it was averaging 17 mpg, and it has since declined to 8-10mpg average. Well I finally took it to the dealer under warranty and all they did was check the visual checklist (brakes, fluids, etc.) and look for engine codes.

Well.. there were no codes. So they gave me the truck back and said "sorry, we can't do anything without codes." I think that is ridiculous.. anyway.. I start up my truck a week later (a couple days ago) and go to exit a parking lot. I try to pull out into the street and as soon as I hit the gas pedal the truck DIES. Instant engine shutoff.

As a cop pulls up to stare at me blocking the street a few seconds later as I'm fumbling to get the truck restarted, I shove it back into park and try to start it up agian. It starts up after a few extra cranks than normal and I am on my way again.

So I go to the dealer and tell them the truck died on me now. "There are no codes. We don't know where to look and until we get some codes or a check engine light or something we can't do much."

So what do I do now?? It hasn't died again, but I'm concerned it may on another intersection where I may not be so lucky. Not to mention my 8 MPG average is starting to really annoy me. The truck has 23k on the odo, only got about 8 months of warranty left so I'm getting concerned. I've tried changing many things, fluids, filters, tire pressures, and other stuff. The only thing I havent checked are my plugs and those are next.

Suggestions??

Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Originally Posted by ericemery
Honestly, I would keep starting it and pull it around untill I could replicate it. then take it to them and replicate it with them in the truck...
When I first read this I thought it said have them REPLACE the truck. Haha. now There's an idea.

(It's early...get off my *** :P )

Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

Sounds like you better get a lawyer on your side.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
Sounds like you better get a lawyer on your side.

Why would he get a lawyer?

I get the frustration, but why involve a lawyer? That's one thing I don't understand about the US. Everybody sues everybody for everything.

I'll probably get a call about this post!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Sniper32
Default me to

My 06 slt quad cab has done that to me 2 times now since I have owned it. Both times it happened when I was coming off of the highway to a stop and it would just stall with no warning, it acted as if it just stopped getting spark. Let me know if you find a way to get it to happen again as I am in the same boat as you.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Lawyer so he can lemon law it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Obviously, there is a problem. You need to check everything that is exclusive of what you have already checked. The spark plugs might be a great indication of a fuel delivery issue (inducing the stumble or engine shut off). Also, I would verify that any type of ignition related plugs or wires are secured appropriately.

Have you ran a fuel system cleaner through the truck yet? My recommendation would be a can of BG 44K. It runs about $20 a can and works wonders. Also, you might want to consider taking the truck to the dealership and having the master tech put it on the sniffer test (Other than assuming the O2 sensor would throw a CEL).

Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first, i am gonna jump all over you about a laywer.waste of time. you pay motor vechicle taxes, registration taxes and every other tax for your truck. who does it go to. the town and motor vechicle. go to your local dept of motor vechicle and file a complaint with them. tell them what is happening and the dealer dont give a hoot because it doesnt happen to them. you will get progress when the d.m.v. walk into the shop demanding the records for these problems. the major corporations have better laywers than what you and i can get. so get the d.m.v. on your side and let your tax dollars work for you.

Quick Reply: Truck died.. dealer clueless! Help please!