3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Muffler selection help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
tankmechus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler selection help

I'm wanting to get a new exhaust system installed on my truck. I've read several posts with users saying that it's cheaper to buy the muffler and have a shop build the rest of the pipe instead of buying a cat-back system. My question is, what configuration did you guys use on your muffler? I went to the Cherry Bomb website, and they have so many muffler inlet and outlet setups, that I don't know which one do use on my truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a Cherry Bomb Vortex 3" SI/SO (center/center for the configuration), bought it from my local muffler guy. $120 installed and out the door, had him cut off everything behind the factory y-pipe and route it out in front of the passenger rear tire with a dual tip I bought off ebay.

Exhaust-007-01.jpg

Exhaust-008-01.jpg

Exhaust-005-01.jpg

Exhaust-004-01.jpg

Exhaust-002-01.jpg

Only difference now is I took the tip off and painted it flat black then had it reinstalled.

Last edited by Altair; 01-13-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running a Cherry Bomb Pro 3" SI/SO (offset/center) for the configuration), bought it from my local muffler guy, also. I paid $140 installed. I had the entire exhaust reworked from the y back, with the rear res and stock exhaust being cut off. Left the tail pipe close to stock appearing with a 4in Stainless Tip.

Heres some pictures of it...

IMGP6589.jpg

IMGP6590.jpg

IMGP6585.jpg

Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 AM
tankmechus
Rookie

I wanted to run 3" pipe, SI/SO with the tip being a dual tip like Altair, but in the stock exit location like lghtngblt02's. I guess buying the muffler from the shop that does the install would be the best idea, huh? Did you guys notice much throttle reponse, or power increase difference from the factory setup? Also, I've noticed that on our trucks, there appears to be a resonator near the end of the tailpipe, a huge muffler midway, and then another resonator type thing up towards the front section. When you say that you had the exhaust removed just after the y-pipe, does that mean all those factory components are gone and you're just running the new single muffler and that's it?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i reccomend cherry bomb extreme, single chamber muffler , i love mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWcbsh-oxA

Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM
V8MANual
Captain

Yep, get rid of both resonators and the stock muffler. There won't be any change in power or throttle response, but you will get worse mpg and more tickets because it just sounds so damn good! I paid $200 plus tax for complete install at the muffler shop; SI/DO Magnaflow and chrome tips.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stay away from flowmaster, i have it on my truck and sounds terrible. 3 inch single catback no resonators. the noise just sucks. my imco was nicer sounding and sounded like a true dual exhaust which it was not. same single 3 inch catback. cherry bomb is a nice sounding muffler along with magnaflow. flowmaster terrible. forget about the do it yourself kits. waste of money, 250 out the door and most places if you pay in cash wont charge sales tax

Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

do not get "BLOWMASTER"
get magnaflow or cherrybomb.. FTW!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
stonfootball

i have Flowmaster Delta 40 flow on my V8 and it sounds great. i stayed with 2.5" piping which is the original size because honestly 3 in. piping would be a little big because thats meant for like turbo applications really and truely it is. and 3 in and taking of the resonators gives you less back press which will take away from bottom end power, which has been the case in my experience with all 3 dakotas i've owned. but a flowmaster 40 series delta flow muffler with no resonators coming out the back will sound nice...i will get a video of mine posted on youtube and send you the link so you can hear for yourself.

Quick Reply: Muffler selection help