3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Mechanic is taking me to the cleaners help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM
feje
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic is taking me to the cleaners help!

A few weeks back, my 2005 Dakota (v6 77,000miles) wouldn't turn right over. Feels like about 15 seconds than finally started. At first I thought I may have a bad tank of gas but then the check engine light came on. A friend noticed that there was a "whining" noise coming from the gas tank area when I shut it down and suggested could be the fuel pump.

Took it to a local Napa, and when they checked it out they the told me they couldnt recreate the problem. After a week with my truck they told me the fuel pump did have a short, the noise was normal, and the light meant I has a vapor leak. they changed out the fuel pump, "fixed" the leak, and I was out $1200.00

Week later the engine light is on, per auto zone I have a vapor leak, and it still wont start up.

Any one have a clue what is wrong?
Does anyone elses Dakota make a noise when you shut down at the gas tank?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I'm not sure this would cause it not to start but the gas cap has an o-ring that seals the tank. 1200 for a fuel pump, that is crazy. What should happen when you first turn the key into the on position without starting the pump is the fuel pump should kick on for a second or two to prime the system. have your friend back by the tank to hear if it turns over when you turn the key into the on position.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

WOOO, 1200 them bastards did rape ya... you should hear the fuel pump as Cuban said turn on when you turn key. You can also sometimes here it while its running, it'll make a faint whining noise which you can only here if you are listening for it, near the tank. The gas cap will illuminate the check engine light if its not installed properly. I think if I was you I would maybe take it to a dealer or another reputable shop and get it truly fixed, and then go back to napa and show them that they didnt "fix" the problem and demand a refund, if they dont maybe mention the BBB. That usually will stir things up. I mean go in there with honey and be nice, but if you dont get results then bust ***! Good luck man...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
stonfootball

1200 for a fuel pump? wow i worked at a dealership and it was only like 600 bucks to do one wow. take about an *** raping. but a short in the fuel pump. i've never heard of a short and taking 15 seconds to start up cause your fuel pump works or doesn't work there is no in between. lol anyway yeah try changing the gas cap. if that does not work then take it to the dealer tell them what you've had done and if they say anything concerning the fuel pump instalation at all, go back to napa and tell them you want a refund. cause if they just replaced something because you mentioned it to them thats retarted. thats my 2 cents.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
NJJer
Veteran

That "vapor leak" could also be under the hood.

Check there also.

$1200 was crazy

Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
xx1479
Professional

For 1200 bucks they should have at least guaranteed their work. Obviously they did not resolve the problem and charged you for it. I'd be going Michael Douglas a la "Falling Down" on that mechanic.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Tell that shade tree criminal mechanice you work for the IRS as an auditor! If nothing else you will make him very nervous.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star

I know you are out of warranty, but I would've taken it to the dealer after you got the estimate from the local Napa rip-off artist.

Quick Reply: Mechanic is taking me to the cleaners help!