3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?

Old 11-29-2016, 07:08 PM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Antoniocool
Can you change the relay that blew or did you have to replace the whole fcm? I hate how cars today have so much depending on computers that will always fail. I'm currently having trouble with my pcm :-(
Nope. The solid state relays are potted inside the FCM. I have no plans to change it unless it dies for some other reason. I just back up with one foot dragging the brakes for light..., ;-)

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Antoniocool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always find the wires for the reverse lights and supply 12v to them through a switch you install on your dash or through a relay that engages when you're in reverse. Although I wouldn't know how to tell the relay when you're in reverse. A switch would be easier

Old 05-03-2017, 10:37 PM
tyeHard41
Default 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi

Have a 2005 Dodge Durango hemi that keeps jumping in and out of AWD, 4LO & 4LOCK on its own. I was thinking it could be the transmission control module, please advise if anyone had this problem.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 PM
xerlus moore

Originally Posted by Shibby927
Finally got this damned Front Control Module part replaced back on the 5th of this month after having my truck into the dealer on three seperate occasions trying to determine what the problem was, its finally up and running and back to normal. I am attempting to get Chrysler to reimburse me for the part. Probably a far fetched idea, but I think that this component in particular fails because of design flaw. This component is connected to the IPM or the intergrated power module and while all the fuses and relays in the IPM are covered by a lid the FCM is basically open to the elements the only protection being the hood of the vehicle. I am wondering if nearly record breaking cold temperatures have had anything to do with this component failing.

The indian guys on the phone with Chrysler customer services just constantly insist that my vehicle is out of warranty and there is nothing they are going to do about it. At least that's what I could understand through their accents.

Apparently this is not all that uncommon of an issue as I managed to scrouge up this service bulletin on google.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_0806005.pdf

I don't understand why you would make a computer component like that so that when it fails it basically messes up all of your electrical components. I had no brake lights, no reverse lights, no speedo, no tach, no temp guage, a non amplified radio, no ABS, and no airbags while the faulty part was still in my truck.

Oh well I guess, I reported the dealership and chrysler to the BBB which I am sure will do exactly nothing for me and lodged a complaint against them on carcomplaints.com.

Has anyone else had to replace this part? Or am I the only one fortunate to have to shell out $560 on some stupid part that they barely make available to their customers?
I had to replace mine by of a u0103 code.. it has to be reprogrammed. I bought a used one for 50 bucks off ebay

Old 09-08-2021, 05:58 AM
BBICLBIC
Rookie

Well i read what happened to you and what you have been thru so far .You ask is there anyone else that has replaced there FCM module . YES i have i got a few thing to say about my 2004 Dodge durango 5.7 hemi . That will maybe get a few gray hairs trying to figure out what electrical 12 volt issue that my 2004 has or had . First i understand that Dodge knew about these issue before they put the 2004 Dodge durango 5.7 on the market to sell .And now the owners of so many 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi own them and can not buy new parts and have a hard time finding electronic used Parts .The 2004 is rated as the worse suv to own cause of issue and the kelly blue book show you a $$ amount that wants to make a grow man cry . All because electrical issue that most can not figure out ,or can not find new or used parts it crazy .I am thinking about making mine into a camping RV trailer put a tow hitch on the front and it will sleep good and put a camp stove in it .If i sold it i would loose more $$ !! ..After me checking on a new FCM module last year i was told there like $1,300 bucs and they did not have any to sell .So i asked Dodge part man about can i replace mine with a used 1 and yes you can . But it has to match all the letters & numbers on your old fcm has to match exactly ,Not close will not work . So i finally found one on line used of course all the numbers match .Get it and it was broke so i returned it .Then found another one on line and the guy shows 1 with the right numbers on it but he sends me that not the one that he showed on line different number & letter i was pissed .I got him on the phone he says the one he sent will work on my durango all i would have to do is pay about $150 bucs to have dodge reprogram it Bull**** dude well i returned to him . Finally after 3 got the right one with the right numbers and letters to match .I get it installed and now i have no Gas ,Temp ,Tac,& speed off about 7 MPH .So i tryed every trick to reset them never would reset to where they should go .I put on maybe 500 miles in a year only thank god i have a Chevy Camaro to drive .So now i have a red flashing light in my cluster think it might need a electronic throttle sensor the manual saying at least but also say you might have to replace you cluster also !! .So last night i was reading more in the 6,661 pages of the manual for 04 dodge durango cover all motors also . But on page 1260?6661 Cluster 8j43 in the service manual 2 pdf . It states you can not change your cluster or any modules cause they are embedding the vehicle identification number { vin} .

Attached Files
File Type: txt
dur (1).txt (6.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:41 AM
EVguy
Veteran

There are a number of companies out there that can write the Vin # into a used module. You may even find a shop local to you with the equipment to do that. SnapOn, AutoEnginuity and other companies sell the software to shops. I would have the used FCM flashed with the proper vin and configuration for your Durango before moving on the replace more parts.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:27 PM
BBICLBIC
Rookie

Thank you for that good advice on my FCM .That gives me hope on getting my durango back on the road .I will update how it turns out .

Old 11-03-2021, 01:22 AM
BBICLBIC
Rookie

Well i wet and talked to the dodge dealer and they say they can not Flash the used FCM . So of course i threw my old FCM in the trash and my used one does not work right .So i am screwed in less i can find a new FCM from a dealer for $1400.00 bucs . I still can not believe that dodge quit making parts for 2004 Dodge durango .Due to all the issues they have with 2004 durango . My question is why would dodge put letters & numbers on the FCM and there matching ones out there why will a used one not work . I am wounding maybe i got sold a bad FCM and thinking about buying another good used FCM or do you think it a waste of money ? I guess i could put a tow bar on my durango and make it a camping unit out of it the seats lay flat and sleep good .Has a sun roof so we can see the stars before bed time haha . Give me your thought .Thank you

Old 11-03-2021, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Why can't they flash the used one??

Check around some of the independent shops, and see if they might be able to do it.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:35 AM
EVguy
Veteran

You just need to find someone who can change the VIN# in the used one. If its the same part # it will work but needs the VIN# changed. I think they were also available with or without security so be sure to get one that matches your Durango.
Any good independent repair shop will have scanning software capable of doing this.
I just had a look at ALfaOBD which is just an App for your phone but it says it only works on 2005 and later Chrysler products. https://www.alfaobd.com/
There are also some pirates online who will do the VIN change for a hefty fee.
It looks like the 2004 was a changeover year as some sites say 03-09 and some say pre 04 so be careful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone else had to replace their FCM?