3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

erratic idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
white26golf
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erratic idle

It seems my truck has started to idle erratically lately. After it has warmed up it tends to idle between 600-900 rpm constantly changing. Hopefully this is an easy fix, and one that I can do. If you have any ideas please respond with the possible problem and how to fix it. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM
coondog05
Veteran

TPS sensor....105 bucks. you can try to remove it and clean it, but probably needs to be replaced...

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

x2 for the TPS.

They sure got expensive. ;-o

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
coondog05
Veteran

oh... its the little sensor on the side of the t.b held on with two torx screws with a 3 wire harness attached

Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by coondog05
TPS sensor....105 bucks. you can try to remove it and clean it, but probably needs to be replaced...
I would have guessed the same thing... its what conrtols the idle.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
white26golf
Veteran

Cool, sounds pretty easy. I am currently in Germany, so it may take a while to get a new one over here. I have a Fastman TB, so I know how to take the TPS out, but what do I need to clean it with. Just to get by until I can get a new one. Oh and I have it listed as 42 bucks from Dodgeparts.com. That should make it a little easier on the wallet!

Last edited by white26golf; 01-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
coondog05
Veteran

just spray tb cleaner in the hole and on the sensor... thats a good price...i needed mine asap so i must have got hosed by my local dealer.... as usual! hahaha

Old 01-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm, bet this is my prob too. having an intermittent problem where idle jumps to 2,000. then falls back to norm.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Mahadigus
Rookie

what you want to clean is the iac motor or idle air control motor this is what really controls your idle not the tps. This is a common problem with all dodge vehicles when the throttle body gets dirty the idle with act up. remove the single torx screw holding the iac motor in place and its a bit of a pain to get in and out due to the large o-ring. Just get some throttle body cleaner and spray the heck out of it. I even use an old tooth brush to help get the carbon deposits off. Then spray it with compressed air and re-install. also try a battery disconnect for a solid 10-15min so your pcm will clear all adaptive memories. the iac motor has one and its a good idea to reset it.

hope this helps

Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
white26golf
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mahadigus
what you want to clean is the iac motor or idle air control motor this is what really controls your idle not the tps. This is a common problem with all dodge vehicles when the throttle body gets dirty the idle with act up. remove the single torx screw holding the iac motor in place and its a bit of a pain to get in and out due to the large o-ring. Just get some throttle body cleaner and spray the heck out of it. I even use an old tooth brush to help get the carbon deposits off. Then spray it with compressed air and re-install. also try a battery disconnect for a solid 10-15min so your pcm will clear all adaptive memories. the iac motor has one and its a good idea to reset it.

hope this helps
This is exactly what I did once I took the TB off and realized that couldn't really clean the TPS. I might need a new air filter, because my TB and IAC was dirtier than I thought it should be after replacing the TB and cleaning the IAC about a year ago. Back to the point, not only did this fix my idle problem, but I also gained back 2mpg and the truck seems to hold speed better going up hills with the cruise control on. I will definitely have to remember this when I start to experience these problems again or have a drop in fuel economy.

Quick Reply: erratic idle