3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Light bar and four 6" lights installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man, I'd cut the bolts for the lights a bit shorter though so they don't stick down as far.

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Eric, being that I build race cars I have access to carbon fiber, billet aluminum, 7 CNC machines and full service machine shop, moly tubing, TIG welders, MIG welders, and other various things...except regular looking plastic...haha.
Holy crap, you should do up some carbon fiber stuff for our trucks and sell it

Old 02-06-2009, 03:28 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i like it, but one thing, the middle lights, could you possibly raise them some, so they dont interfer with the middle bar, and the guards would be a plus

Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We actually don't make any of the carbon fiber, but we will be soon. I have quite a bit of flat sheets (really nice for making switch panels).

As far as raising the center lights, I would be limited by the bolt lengths. I could raise the two center ones as far as they hang down. I will just need to fabricate some aluminum spacers...pretty easy.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
NJJer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!

I may have missed it, but where did you get the light bar from?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 PM
NJJer
Veteran
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ericemery
he made it I believe...
Thanks Eric

Well if he did, I have some cash for the man if he would make me one too!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
ramos160
Professional

Is that a skid plate on the truck? There looks to be like some kind of plate underneath the vehicle.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:50 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Paul, that looks like a pretty good location. I might consider that. Did you use the switch to interupt the ground or power?
DP, what I did was simple. The switch I am using has 2 poles, One with a wire going to the positive connection on the battery (with a 15 amp inline fuse) and the 2nd to the positive connection for the lights. lights are hard wired to the ground. I didn't want to use the relay that came with the lights because I wanted the ability to turn them on without having the regular headlights on. the switch that came with the kit was lighted. The way I have it hooked up, the light was constantly on. Didn't want that so I got the toggle switch you see in my first post. What came with it looked like this
142-4275_IMG.jpg
142-4274_IMG.jpg

Also need to take the plastic cover off before you install your switch to make sure it will fit. It is not hollow behind it. there is metal that you need to make sure you can either clear or cut out for clearance.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, I was considering locating the switch next to the steering wheel, but I think I found a better location for me. I just interupted the ground for the relay. It's a 5 post relay, so I was able to wire all 4 lights on the same relay with ease. Basically, this allowed me to only fish one wire from through the firewall...with out worrying about the longevity of the wire insulation (wearing through and arc'ing to the chassis).

P1010013.jpg

No, I don't have a skid plate for the front...yet. However, I am in the process of fabricating one. Currently, I have the transfer case, front drive shaft, and front diff. skid plate. I will be purchasing the fuel tank skid plate in about a month....I don't want to fabricate that one.

Quick Reply: Light bar and four 6" lights installed