3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Towing questions!~

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:06 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing questions!~

Hey ya'll long time no forum. I've been in Qatar! Yaayyyy- not. ANYways. I'm finally getting married! But I gotta move a ton of stuff via Uhaul from VA to NE in a 6X12 pull along trailor. SO, is this possible with just a ball hitch? Because I see these towing harnesses for over 150 bucks and I hope I don't need that. I also don't know where the wiring is. I know Uhaul will help with this but I would rather be somewhat educated before I go in and look foolish, and you veterans already know I'm foolish so help?! Thanks boys.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 AM
V8MANual
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooh Waah, welcome home, and thanks for the service.
You can't tow a U-haul with the bumper. If you don't have a receiver, you don't have the wiring for the lights, either. U-haul will sell you the whole setup for over $300 or to not look foolish get it done before you rent.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

trucky,

Do you have the 4.7? What gearing do you have? I towed the 6x12 with about 6,000 lbs but it was southern NC to norther NC. I agree with edsham that you need a hitch. I just moved myself, partial DiDty mostly HHG. Anyway, you're going to get reimbursed why not just rent a large penske truck and a car dolly and tow the truck or have the fiance drive it.

When we left, I had the second smallest Penske truck and a car dolly for my wife's jetta. Towed it all the way down to FLORIDA.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Hey fellow Air Force (I am a Loadmaster) been to Qatar quite a bit and everywhere else in the AOR for that matter.

Whatever you buy to move your stuff, even hitches, towing equipment, trailer rentals... Its all covered by the PCS move. Keep your receipts and they will pay for your new tow toys. Get a receiver and hitch done right and its free, so get the good stuff (not uhaul). You will need the harnesses as well.

You should be able to tow just fine with most combo's of engine and gearing but if you are V6 dont go over 4800 and you are V8 dont go over 6800 lbs. There are more specifics if you go to http://www.dodge.com/hostc/towing/guide.do

Load Clear

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome home! One of my best friends just got back from the IZ. I bet you are glad to be back.

Yes, get the factory hitch and wiring harness...you will thank yourself later. The factory unit is easy to install, but the wiring harness will give you a little bit of trouble. It is still relatively easy, just a little time consuming.

I have towed a U-Haul twin axle vehicle transport a few times. The trailer weighs in at 2600lbs. With the Talon on there, I was at 5300lbs combined. With the Monte Carlo, I was at 6100lbs combined.

My truck is an ST 4x4 QC with the 3.7L and 6-speed. So, I would say that I was a little over what is recommended for my truck. The coolest part about towing those cars was, it was easy. I never felt like I was on the edge of safety. Also consider that I do not have a brake controller installed either....Even with the Monte on there, the truck stopped with no problem. I would not hesitate to tow these cars again...

Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO the rating on that site for towing are based on having a class III hitch right?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Welcome back Trucky! You'll definitely need the hitch and harness for the 6x12, the bumpers aren't rated to tow all that much and I probably wouldn't even put as much as they're rated for on there. In general those things are for towing small light trailers once in awhile, any real towing and you want to step up to a real receiver.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by biker_ahoy
SO the rating on that site for towing are based on having a class III hitch right?
I am pretty sure thats a Class IV

Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Nothing wrong with a UHaul reciever and hitch. Anything you buy will be bolt-on anyway.

My 4 Pin wiring harness was about $40 and plugs into the rear tail light wiring with stock-style snap fittings. I pulled a packed UHaul 5x10 for 900 miles no problemo.

Not sure if the 6x12's have surge brakes, but be careful slowing down even if they do.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Surge brakes suck. Edit: n/m that I just looked and the 6x12 is surge brakes so you won't need a controller.

Quick Reply: Towing questions!~