3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow hooks

I'm having some trouble installing my tow hook, the mail long bolt through the frame is just spinning and turning the top of (the whats it called) i can see it spinning with the hood open I tried holding the top in place to try and brake the bolt free but I'm not having any luck

Help!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that same problem. how I got around it was I soaked the top "bushing" with WD40. waited 2 minutes, soaked again and then went under and removed the bolt. Worked for me.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Paul said...haha. I did the same thing, but used an impact gun to tighten them. I couldn't get them to stop spinning by using a rachet.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

I finally got them on didn't use a impact at all. just a socket and rachet, I used a tool with a nylon strap and a handle (not sure what it's called - useful for removing oil filters) but was able to put it on the top bushing and hold it in place while removing the bolt. worked really well. took about 2 hr or so still. I like the look they add to the front.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Antjmar
Rookie
Exclamation dont take the bolt off.

I hade to take them off of mryTRX4 I went nuts trying to get them off, brought to a shop they coudnt do it. Showed a friend and he slide them out without takeing that long frame bolt out. Yes I felt like an idiot. you should be able to get them in without taking that bolt off!

For the next guy who tries it!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

I would like to see how he did that. There is no way you can install the tow hooks in the front without removing that bolt. That is one of the bolts that hold the tow hook to the frame.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

I agree you have to remove that bolt to put the hooks on. there is no other way. enless you aren't using the dodge brand of hooks. cuz they need that bolt removed

Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

I thought so too. They are Dodge hooks (standard on TRX4). I saw him do it. after removing the bolts on the tow hooks he hit the front of the hook with a rubber hammer and they pop out. The frame has a "sleeve" where they fit in. Hard to explain but like I said I tried for hours felt like a moron when he slide them off. May be a PITA to get new ones on without the bolt but you can get them off.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain

I think I understand now.
he prob just popped the bushing that the bolt goes through on the back of the tow hooks right out of the hooks leaving that peice on the truck. but if you plan on installing them again in the future the bolts will have to come out, I don't see getting them back on using the same method

Last edited by biker_ahoy; 03-01-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Antjmar
Rookie

Your right. It works for getting them out but not sure if I could "force" them back in that way if I wanted to.

Quick Reply: Tow hooks