3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Failed Inspection, Leaking Power Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by importkiller76
Well Monkey here's something to throw a wrench into the theory that your lift is causing the steering rack to leak. Just had my truck at the dealer again because even after changing the speed sensor that was throwing codes to mess up my abs sensors, which in turn lead to no cruise and abs....after the dealer had the truck on the lift they said....my power steering rack is leaking...o goody. They also said that it might be the wheel bearing causing the speed sensor to malfunction. The truck only has 70,000km or about 44,000 miles...and I know what you mean about being tired of your dodge truck already...had mine since new and it's just off warranty now. Hopefully I can stand it long enough to pay it off...

Really?? Man sorry to hear that. You don't have a lift do you?? I am thinking that these racks are just junk.

I hope your next one lasts.

But listen, there is a huge thread on leaking power steering racks on the Ram 3rd gen section, where tons of ram owners thought there power steering rack was leaking, and it wound up being the tube that runs into the rack from the power steering pump. The clip that holds it onto the rack is weak junk, so all the guys got clamps from there hardware store, the screw tight kind, put them on and bam, no more leak. I don't know if thats OUR issue, but, next time I have a problem, which i hope i never do again, I am going to check that. Because I can't for the life of me understand why these racks are so weak.

Good Luck with your truck.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
importkiller76
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea thanks monkey i'm gonna get the truck up on the stands and check it out this week.

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection, Leaking Power Steering Rack