3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Finally got the Leveling kit installed.. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't see many TRX4s, they are cool! The rear mud flaps really look good painted. I just left mine black, because they match my bumpers lol. I like when everything matches from the factory, like the grille, and bumpers, it looks sweet. Great truck.

The kit looks right.

If your going to do the rear, stick with 1" blocks, this way you don't have to go through all the issues I did with longer shocks (that wound up being too long, from rough country) 1" blocks will work great with stock shocks.

Sometimes the 1" block even looks too big in the rear, the best bet, i think, would be to get 1" steel blocks, have them milled down to about 3/4th an inch, I think the truck would sit perfect, and at 3/4th an inch you can still use the factory U-Bolts which I Think are far superior to anything you can get aftermarket.

Im babbling now.

Truck looks awesome.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Its cause its blue...blue sucks
Don't make me drive down there and beat some sense into you.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Nice! Did you happen to measure before and after the install to verify ride height change?
Right exactly 2" measured from centercap to directly above to the top of the wheel arch. It's amazing how much different just 2" can make things feel..

working under the hood, simply driving it, getting in and out, all a noticeable difference.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
You don't see many TRX4s, they are cool! The rear mud flaps really look good painted. I just left mine black, because they match my bumpers lol. I like when everything matches from the factory, like the grille, and bumpers, it looks sweet. Great truck.

The kit looks right.

If your going to do the rear, stick with 1" blocks, this way you don't have to go through all the issues I did with longer shocks (that wound up being too long, from rough country) 1" blocks will work great with stock shocks.

Sometimes the 1" block even looks too big in the rear, the best bet, i think, would be to get 1" steel blocks, have them milled down to about 3/4th an inch, I think the truck would sit perfect, and at 3/4th an inch you can still use the factory U-Bolts which I Think are far superior to anything you can get aftermarket.

Im babbling now.

Truck looks awesome.
Thanks man... I like the all-one-color thing too, I exchanged the antenna mast as it was the silver color for a black one... Ultimately I'd like to get the nightrunner lights for it and eliminate that chrome too. That is the last chrome on it and I wouldn't feel too bad to see it go.

The flaps, they were given to me by the dealership and I paid like $50 to have them painted locally. They threw in 2 more years of sirius so it came to a great deal. The dealer was in the middle of nowhere in north central Illinois, like 50 miles off the interstate with maybe 25 new cars and 15 used ones. Very small dealer.

On the blocks, I'm probably not going to go that route anytime soon, my next and foremost 'hit list' item is the front end. These poly spacers help a *little* with the bouncy-bouncy but I want those Ranchos.

When I got it, it had been sitting on the lot for about 5 months and not moved as they thought being red, trx4 would command full sticker and nothing less. Once they knew I was really interested (as it 250 mile drive wasn't enough), they started getting all excited about moving it. It needed a full claying, light compounding, swirl removal. Bird %^&, being wiped down after pressure washings with rags by some company, it needed to really be worked out.. I put about 12 hrs into cleaning it inside and out.

I'm going to put the buffer to it tonight w/ some LSP in the form of some collinite 845 I think, maybe megs #26 carnuba, as I did a swirl removal on it last night. Then I'll just hit with a quick detailer and 2-bucket style washes until late summer when it will need to be waxed again, then before winter.

thanks for the compliments, and I guess now it was me babbling

Have a good one!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:59 PM
whiteram00
Captain

truck looks good,nice and clean

Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
LB
Veteran

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
That's EXACTLY what I had in mind, good to know the original bolts will work!

LB

Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LB
That's EXACTLY what I had in mind, good to know the original bolts will work!

LB
Yes, the stock u-bolts will work if the block is 3/4th inch thick. With a 1" block, you can thread the nuts about 3/4th the way, so I figured if the block was a 1/4th inch shorter, then the u-bolts would be able to bolt up fully.

Also, stock rear shocks will be within normal operating range, and you don't have to worry about u-bolts. Breaking a 3/4th in rear block seems very hard to me as well, so it should be pretty bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Finally got the Leveling kit installed.. Pics inside.