3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 PM
ahicks
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but I think the point is regarding the rust - not the chipped paint. There are plenty of ways the manfs. can/SHOULD be doing to protect the metal that would require NO paint to prevent rust. The fact that it's rusting is the issue - not the paint chip?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinartist
Second, since any new car comes with rust coverage included in the warranty, so if the body has rust from 'incidental' damage, it should be covered. Period.
You all need to actually read the warranty on rust coverage. The only coverage is for "rust through." If a body panel rusts, and a hole forms, that is covered. The entire door/hood/etc could be covered in rust, but as long as there is no holes, nothing is covered.

Clear coat and paint might be cheap. I've got chips in my new car already. Only thing I can say is treat it in its early stage, and it should be ok.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

-----

Last edited by DodgesForLife24; 04-06-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, it's surface rust, can be buffed away... do that, get some touch up paint, wet sand it, clear coat it, wet sand and polish...

call it a day...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 AM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

-----

Last edited by DodgesForLife24; 04-06-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I gotta side with Frenchy on this one. If a rock coming into contact with your paint is a warranty issue, I suppose if I got in my truck with a knife sticking out my pocket and it gashed the seat, you would expect the dealer to fix that under warranty as well? Same basic premise here...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

-----

Last edited by DodgesForLife24; 04-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM
TRX4_2008
Professional

$33,000.00 for a Dakota? And that is WITH a discount? WTF? Did they start making these out of GOLD when I wasn't looking?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

Unless it's a rust thru, they won't cover it. I happen to agree also. I have chips and dings. Say someone parks close to you and opens their door and chips your paint, or you park under a tree and sap drips on the paint causing damage. No way the dealership should be considered responsible.

Last edited by paul05dak; 04-06-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
You all need to actually read the warranty on rust coverage. The only coverage is for "rust through." If a body panel rusts, and a hole forms, that is covered. The entire door/hood/etc could be covered in rust, but as long as there is no holes, nothing is covered.

Clear coat and paint might be cheap. I've got chips in my new car already. Only thing I can say is treat it in its early stage, and it should be ok.
This should be know by the purchasers of the warranty IMO. Unfortunately
Anybody who does not read their warranty has some lightbulb in their head not screwed in all the way or something....seriously....
Originally Posted by DodgesForLife24
Wow lmao this is just getting pathetic....
Hopefully you aren't serious because.......seats and rust? Those are two COMPLETELY different things. A knife is my fault, a rock isn't...a rock is beyond my control...
I wouldn't expect the dealer to fix a seat that I slashed myself...I would replace that myself...but a rock and rust is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

That's like me saying, "oops my gum is all over my floor, my warranty better cover that..." That's just stupid...at least rust is logical and makes sense here.

Which I'm still sticking the point that rust should be covered by the warranty when there are many different paints or whatever they could have used to avoid my truck rusting.
And that's that.

You people are just taking it too far.
Nothing anyone says will change my mind that rust should be taken care of under warranty.
That seat thing is just absolute nonsense and in NO relation what so ever to what I'm talking about....

DISCUSSION ENDED.
Easy DodgesForLife24. The only person going overboard is you. What the others are saying is chipped paint happens, its out of the hands of you and the dealer. Its normal wear and tear. Get some paint dab it and be done with. Dont make yourself look like an asshat for complaining about a minor chip in the paint from a rock. I have had a chip in my front fender for over a yr now and I dont have a hint of rust. So I am unsure of how my 07 differs from yours?

The discussion is not ended. Its a public forum. The discussion ends when things are our of control and the moderator feels the thread needs locked. Until then. This thread is open for discussion!

Originally Posted by TRX4_2008
$33,000.00 for a Dakota? And that is WITH a discount? WTF? Did they start making these out of GOLD when I wasn't looking?
I was kinda wondering the same thing. My Laramie with all the options except the HO, the NAV and 3.92s was $26k out the door 2 yrs ago. I am thinking I got GIPPED

Quick Reply: Rust.