3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
01dodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think his user name says it all, antichrysler

Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
MTDakota008
Rookie

Obviously you are not going to hear horrible things about Dodge, as redundant as it may sound, look at the site you are on. If you want what you think may be an unbiased opinion, go to Edmunds or Consumer Reports online and check their reviews and what not.

In my opinion, a vehicle is going to be as reliable as you make it, being how you drive it and if you maintain regular maintenance on it. Just because I don't like people bashing Dodge, doesn't make you a bad person....... if you catch what I'm saying.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 AM
SilverGhost1
All Star

Obviously, this guy needs to be shut down.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
antichrysler

Okay... well thanks for the semi-useful responses. Allow me to clarify further.

1. antichrysler is just an old nickname from highschool christian ethics. Since then it's been my online handle. It has nothing to do with chrysler. If it did I obviously wouldn't be using it on a dodge forum.

2. The reason why my dad can't drive the Dakota is because he made a bad choice on his lease. He's put 80,000kms on it in 2 years and if he puts another 80,000 on it, it will mean the km overages will be ridiculously high at 15c/km. The other problem is buying out the lease is higher than the value of buying the truck from a dealers lot.

3. The reason why I'm interested in it is in case I need to haul stuff around, like my motorbike, or I need to pull a trailer, or I need to move furniture and such. It's worth $80/month in insurance to me to have it for those purposes. If I were buying a truck for myself it would probably be a small 1/4 ton that's 15-20 years old since I don't need it that much. The only reason why I'm even considering this truck is b/c Dodge wants $11,000 in payments before they'll take the truck back. Since that's the value left on the lease, the only thing he would save is the cost of insurance. As it sits he needs to buy a truck with higher towing capacity for his work, and since GM is making ridiculous offers he's interested in just dumping the dodge on them unless someone else is willing to take it. Which is why I'm interested in just making the $80/month insurance payments.

What I'm not interested in is putting money in to a leased vehicle, that includes maintenance. As it sits the buyout is more than teh value of the truck right now, in 2 years it will only be worse. Further to that I have no need for this type of vehicle. I personally don't care what happens to this truck after the lease. If the motor and transmission are shot, I don't care, that's for Dodge to deal with.

Having said that I don't want to be putting money in to repairs. Which is why I'm asking this community for what typically goes wrong on these vehicles and at what kms can I expect it to go wrong.

As far as Dodge reliability goes, no one on this forum can sit there and tell me that Dodge is known for outstanding reliability. I have personally owned Dodge, and I know alot of people that own Dodge and I don't know of a single person that tells me they're great for reliability and build quality. If you enjoy your Dodge vehicles that's entirely fine, and I respect that. Having said that, to me this vehicle will mean far less to me than anyone else on this forum.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrysler
As far as Dodge reliability goes, no one on this forum can sit there and tell me that Dodge is known for outstanding reliability.
Um, yes I can. My dakota is 14 years old and runs like a top. It has given me no more problems in the 1 1/2 years I've owned it than my sister's brand new 2009 Honda Accord.

Originally Posted by antichrysler
I have personally owned Dodge, and I know alot of people that own Dodge and I don't know of a single person that tells me they're great for reliability and build quality.
Every car company ever made has car lines with problems. My sister has owned 2 hondas now and they are far from perfect. I've worked at a body shop for 3.5 years and have worked on just about every kind of car out there, and none of them are great, they all have issues. My suggestion to you is next time you feel like coming onto a dodge enthusiast forum with your attitude is don't waste our time. Read this thread to find out how this same situation worked out for this user... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-so-sure.html

And as for your supposed screenname's history, thats the biggest crock I've heard this week, and YOU can't sit there and tell me it's not a bash against Chrysler.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-07-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 AM
big.bryant
Champion

you know just cuz something is your nickname and all doesn't nessesairly mean you can't get a new handle on a different forum. Especially when you come on to a CHRYSLER/DODGE/MOPAR/AWESOME forum... kinda makes you look like a tool.

Now getting back to your question at hand. First off, I'm sorry but its his mistake that he leased it and drove it too much. Did he not know he was going to actually use it that often? If I were you, I would pay off the rest of the lease and hold onto it. Hell pay off the lease and then go back and sell it to someone else its really your choice.

Otherwise, even if you drove it 1K kms per month on it (12k a year) it would only be an additional $150 per month in overage fees. thats IF you drive that much. From the sounds of it, you won't be driving it that often and obviously that cost would go down. Its a decent truck for less than $230 per month.

At the end of the day, keeping it would actually SAVE you money after the two years.

Cost of driving 1K kms per month + insurance for 2 years (remainder of the lease) = around $5K

Cost of paying off the lease = $11k (or something like that)

Bascially keep it and change that stupid name.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:34 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe chrysler was Jesus' middle name and he's satanic.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 AM
big.bryant
Champion

LMAO.... i guess its plausible lol

Old 05-07-2009, 03:04 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, all I have to say is there is no mention of "chrysler" in the bible so it has nothing to do with christianity, and "chrysler" is not an offensive name to anybody, so there should be no mention of it in ethics, so to sum it up, it has nothing to do with a christian ethics class, so you pretty much tried and failed to make a lame cover story cause it's obvious to anybody with a half a brain that its a beat down on chrysler.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-07-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Not planning on doing maintenance for 2 years? Not even oil changes?
F**k, no wonder our country is sh*t. We produce a bunch of f**king retards who don't care about anything.
It's ******** like that why I'm scared to buy used vehicles.