3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
all I have to say is there is no mention of "chrysler" in the bible
But there IS plenty mentions of ppl being pwned. Booyah!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmmm, this is a very interesting read, that's the least that can be said

Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
antichrysler

Originally Posted by big.bryant
Now getting back to your question at hand. First off, I'm sorry but its his mistake that he leased it and drove it too much. Did he not know he was going to actually use it that often? If I were you, I would pay off the rest of the lease and hold onto it. Hell pay off the lease and then go back and sell it to someone else its really your choice.

Otherwise, even if you drove it 1K kms per month on it (12k a year) it would only be an additional $150 per month in overage fees. thats IF you drive that much. From the sounds of it, you won't be driving it that often and obviously that cost would go down. Its a decent truck for less than $230 per month.

At the end of the day, keeping it would actually SAVE you money after the two years.

Cost of driving 1K kms per month + insurance for 2 years (remainder of the lease) = around $5K

Cost of paying off the lease = $11k (or something like that)

Bascially keep it and change that stupid name.
Thanks for the mostly serious response. You answered most of my original question.

Regarding my dad, he didn't know it would be driven so much. He owns a courier company and it was bought as an in-town sales vehicle which would be used to visit clients every so often and for promotions (every so often he holds bbqs for his larger accounts and needs to haul the bbqs around). What ended up happening was the company started growing faster than he expected, which ended up turning this truck in to one with more uses than they anticipated. This truck has lead a pretty rough life of hauling trailers and operating at pretty much peak load for the last 2 years.

My dad has realized he needs a bigger truck for what he's doing with it and rather than paying the km overages (40,000km/yr * 2 yr * 0.15/km = $12,000) plus the $11,000 in lease payments and risking wrecking the transmission and everything in this truck over those 2 years and repairing it he's decided that either I can have it for 2 years if I pay the plates and the km overages that I cause, or else when he gets his 3/4 ton diesel he'll just pay the $11,000 to the dealership and give them the Dakota.

I'm just wondering if there's any kind of maintenance (some cars need timing belts at 100k) etc and I don't know enough about the Dakota to determine if there's expensive maintenance I will HAVE to do. So is there any kind of quirks or pricey repairs that occur frequently on these vehicles?

The kind of information I'm looking for is something to the tune of "GM V6's in GrandAms/Aleros typically need a new LIMG at 40,000-90,000kms because of the crappy coolant they use" etc.

As for paying out the lease and keeping it, that isn't an option. The buyout price is $18,000 and Dodge wants $18,000 + $11,000 (2 years worth of payments) before they'll release ownership of the truck. To be honest, the truck isn't worth $29,000 especially since I regularly see ones like this selling for $20,000-$22,000 in the paper. Even if my dad were to pay the $11,000 and I pay the remaining $18,000 that's still out of my budget. I just don't have the cash to make those kinds of payments. My other reservation is the fact that I know how this truck has been used.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$29000.00, holy f@@k, i drove my 05 dak off the lot at $22000.00, back in 05. the truck is not worth the hassle of spending that type of money to let it sit. get some good insurance and sink it in any type of salty water, drive it to the ocean and launch the sucker. or have the local thieves still it and torch it. trust me i have friends in very high places.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM
antichrysler

The 11k has to be spent no matter what. Dodge is being a dink about the payout on the lease. Whether he pays it for $11k over 2 years or he pays it in one lump sum to the dealership now when he gets rid of it; it's the same amount of money. Which is why he's offering to let me have it for 2 years. He's pretty much ****ed on this truck. I do also agree he got ****ed on the purchase price, at the same time though you're probably in the states and vehicles up here tend to sell for 20-30% more up here.

He doesn't care that the truck is worth more right now than it will be in 2 years, that's Dodge's problem.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Holy fark 95 318SLT...dodgerules...did this guy insult your family or steal something from you? Immediately to the ranting and name calling. As far as wasting your time, your lengthy and overly aggressive posts show you certianly have a fair share of time on your hands.

Does my handle make me a terrorist for mocking America? It's just a name. Quite frankly, I'm Anti-Chrysler on about 75% of their lineup.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cramerica
Holy fark 95 318SLT...dodgerules...did this guy insult your family or steal something from you? Immediately to the ranting and name calling. As far as wasting your time, your lengthy and overly aggressive posts show you certianly have a fair share of time on your hands.
First off, look at my screenname and my signature and tell me if you think I can give him an honest opinion about potential problems with his 3rd gen dakota... no? so what should I have started with instead of immediately going into the ranting? And I think the same goes for dodgerules86... as he also owns a 1st gen dakota. I don't care what he does with his dads truck. My problem is this is a Dodge ENTHUSIAST forum, and you just don't approach a group of people who don't know you and who you don't know and immediately insult them, and then ask for their help, it just shows a complete lack of common sense. It's just not a socially exceptiable thing to do.... he probably should have had a lesson on that in his ethics class. I'm just giving him harshly worded advice so that next time a similar situation comes up he might just think before starts typing.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-07-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Well, this is getting spicy.

You submit:

"you just don't approach a group of people who don't know you and who you don't know and immediately insult them, it just shows a complete lack of common sense"

Not too many people here "know", as in, have met, other forum members. I don't "know" anyone here. Quite frankly, it's creepy. I use online forums to learn and share technical information on our trucks. I prefer to socialize in the real world. Or by answering anonymous Craigslist personals.

I missed where our new friend did any insulting. "Antichrysler" is a play on words. Or maybe he really hates the Pentastar. So what? I think Chrysler is rather insulting myself. Their latest plan is to take a few billion in American money and let some rich Italian families play around with it. Their recent cars, on the whole, suck. Suck. More importantly, who f*cking cares.

A "Super Moderator" had no problem, however, more or less calling him an *******. Oozing class, right there. Deep fried, gold plated class. Antichrysler??!?! You must be an *******!

There are eighty billion retarded posts on forums every day. It's a fact, look it up. If this guy offended your sensibilities, ignore his post. Go drink a beer and rub one out. By that I mean polish your rims. By that I mean **********.

Lastly, while we all brush up on ethics as it relates to making fun of failed auto companies, take a naturalization course to learn a thing or two about communicating in your native language.