3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice...

I posted in the muscle car area too, but I consider you all as friends so I wanted your input. I had a guy offer to sell me a 1972 Dodge Charger, decent condition, little bit of rust, mainly needs new floorboards and a starter. Under the hood the original 440 has been replaced by a 440 police interceptor. The original engine is in the trunk actually. The only thing off of the original is the heads, someone stole them. Is this a pretty good buy? I mean the interceptor are hard to find and the 440 block is selling for $500-700 on E-Bay. Its the special edition w/ power headlights, windows, all that. It's been sitting outside for a few years because it was his brothers car, and his brother died. He hasn't been able to touch it since. I could potentially make some of my money back parting out the original 440. The $2000 asking price is OBO. Help me guys!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

if i were you, id buy that in a heartbeat, wouldnt even think about it..

Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't think twice abou it. I would buy that sucker so fast! Fast being they key word here

Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Alright, I have yet to see the car with my own eyes. I'll take some pictures and stuff too. I'll repost with more info.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can take some pics, I know a guy who races an R/T in my SOVA club. He is a master sheet metal fabricator, he can tell you how much trouble the rust repairs would be.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
NJJer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baracis
I posted in the muscle car area too, but I consider you all as friends so I wanted your input. I had a guy offer to sell me a 1972 Dodge Charger, decent condition, little bit of rust, mainly needs new floorboards and a starter. Under the hood the original 440 has been replaced by a 440 police interceptor. The original engine is in the trunk actually. The only thing off of the original is the heads, someone stole them. Is this a pretty good buy? I mean the interceptor are hard to find and the 440 block is selling for $500-700 on E-Bay. Its the special edition w/ power headlights, windows, all that. It's been sitting outside for a few years because it was his brothers car, and his brother died. He hasn't been able to touch it since. I could potentially make some of my money back parting out the original 440. The $2000 asking price is OBO. Help me guys!
As someone who has had a fair share of 72,73, and 74 Chargers (no 71's) I will say take it!

It will bring loads more $ if it was parted out. So even if you never fix it up, you can come out ahead.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Just went and check it out...dude is a straight liar. It would probably take 5 grand to get that thing running, everything that could be wrong with it, was wrong with it. Rusted through body panels, just on one side so water is pooled in them. The floorboard is rusted through so bad the seats fell over (whats left with them). Some went in and stole random pieces from the engine and cut wires off wherever they needed to. No fan, no carb, brake booster rusted through, pulleys rusted through. Everything was disastrous. It literally looked like they rubbed salt in every spot they could find and let beethoven loose on the inside. Nothing was salvageable at all...it was horrible.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-Do...#ht_500wt_1505

The above link puts that other car to shame. I'm gonna have nightmares.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
if i were you, id buy that in a heartbeat, wouldnt even think about it..

Me too!! Don't think about it for too long!!!!

Quick Reply: Need advice...