3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hypertech Max Energy installed in 2008 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Hypertech Max Energy installed in 2008 4.7L

After a few weeks of frustration of it not working on my truck, Hypertech came through today and sent out an update to resolve the issue. The problem was that when you programmed the ECU the Drive By Wire gas pedal didn't work right. It just wouldn't accelerate. Well, it's working now.

Anyway, I took it for a 45 mile round trip to the grocery store and I have to say, I'm quite satisfied. I'm running the "Regular" setting right now but have 91 in the tank (in preparation for the "Premium" setting).

Here's some things that I noticed:

- I don't have to use near as much gas pedal to get the truck going from a stop.
- During cruise on the highway (75mph) I have to barely step on the pedal to keep it going.
- It's actually quite peppy in 1st and 2nd gear.
- At WOT the surge I got at 4000 RPM is gone. Now the power has a more linear feel to it.
- I don't feel like I'm dragging an anchor behind the truck.
- And I actually enjoyed driving the truck for the first time since I bought it.
- I felt no difference in shifting and didn't expect any since they don't work on shift firmness anyway. However, it would be really nice if they did. Honestly, it would complete the package.

This is the way Dodge should have done the engine.

Right now I have the 18" wheels, 3.55 gears and a Borla 3" exhaust. I do not have a CAI although I have a Automat Short Ram Intake on the way.

Some things that I'd like to see them add to the Max Energy:
1. Torque management or shift firmness even if it was just a little.
2. Real time sensor monitoring.

All in all I'm pleasantly surprised and hope that the "Premium" setting offers up more HP/TQ. Having TQ management or a shift firmness adjustment would make the current price of the unit very justifiable.

I'll post some thoughts on the "Premium" setting when I have time to reprogram it.

Ciao!
Shawn

Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats man, I'm glad they came through for you. I have not used hypertech, only superchips and SCT and I liked them both.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked SCT's site. I take it you have to know a dealer in order to get a custom tune?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 AM
spshultz
Professional

I had contacted SCT and they said "not available" for your year truck. I contacted SC and they said "a few months" (twice). I'm impatient when it comes to wanting more power so I decided to go with Hypertech. A canned tune will suit my needs just fine until I start doing cam's and modded heads.

For now the Hypertech with a CAI, exhaust, shift kit, gears and maybe TC will be enough.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM
dakotaduke
Default Thanks "spshultz"

Thanks for posting that the new update was available from Hypertech. (The Tuner was 1.1.9.0 & now it’s 1.1.9.4 and for the 4.7 the old firmware was 70.24.8.5 & now it’s 70.24.8.6.) Like you I'm Very Disappointed that the Hypertech doesn’t do anything in the shifting firmness / torque management.

I had a 2004 Hemi Rumble Bee with the Superchips 3865 and about 6 months after I purchased it Superchips came out with the torque management firmware and it was the single BEST thing they could have done. (I traded it in to Hypertech so that I could get the 52001 Max Energy cheaper & wish I hadn’t.) As soon as either the Superchips 3865 OR the Cortex Programmer come out for the 2008 4.7 Dakota I’ll buy it.

I guess Hypertech hasn’t learned how to keep customers by providing solid dependable products. Hopefully they will come out with torque management – but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m installing the 70.24.8.6 tune now, and I hope the problems you mentioned (which I also experienced) are gone.

Again – THANKS – and I wish they would send out an email update as to when updates were available (like Superchips did originally.)

Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 AM
SilverGhost1
All Star

congrats on the results.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 AM
spshultz
Professional

I really don't believe this latest tune from Hypertech had any HP/TQ increases. A few of us were having ETC issues and I think that's all it was for.

I've decided I'm going to get an SC when it comes out. I have absolutely no experience with anything other than this Max Energy to compare to. So we'll see which of the two has better power.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Max Energy installed in 2008 4.7L