3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Oil Pan Rusting Away

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also heres what mine looked like before getting a hole.
It was rusted, but only got a hole because of the ice. But it looks like the Heat from the exhaust in that area might be causing that part to rust faster then the rest on mine.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graythang
Had an oil change and the mechanic called notice that my oil pan was rusting so bad I should keep an eye out for leaks. He pointed it out where the metal had bubbled and stating to scale away. You can see where the metal is very thin and could leak at anytime. This is insane. The truck is only three years old. I couldn't imagine keep it long term without it rusting away. I have been fighting support & frame rust after just after a year of owning it and now the oil pan? I don't even live on or near the ocean. I am staring to believe it when I here that Chrysler really skimped on parts quality and processes to save costs now that I see first hand at things prematurely rusting and the interior vinyl is so soft that a fingernail with cause permanent scuffs. I’m starting to think I should have walked away from Dodge after the 06 buy back.

Yeah, first thing is take it to the dealer and try a warranty claim. Have them do and entire under the vehicle inspection, there may be bad rust elsewhere on the truck. My guess is that the corporation and the dealer may try to weasel out of paying for the repairs.

In which case, I'd buy a pan, coat it with two or three coats of rustoleum, and have an independent shop do the work. 4wd dodges are tough to work under, my ol' 96 is a nightmare to get either the trannie or engine pan out of.

There's a reason Chrysler went bankrupt and needed a gov't. bailout in 08. And their bad rep wasn't based on building fugly.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Vermontguns

I have had several different Dodge trucks, and was happy with all but one of them. The latest I had was an '06 2500 Ram 4x4 Quad Cab, with a Hemi. It was a great driving truck, comfortable, powerful, but the worst truck I have ever owned as far as maintenance is concerned. I live in Vermont, where the roads get pretty heavy salt. The corrosion problems on the truck were unbelievable, as well as ALL other maintenance issues. Three exhaust manifolds had the bolts rust away, the oil pan rotted through such that when I turned the oil plug, the whole bottom of the pan broke out. Sure drained the oil fast though! The corrosion issues attacked everywhere. Two hood latches, tailgate latch, fender wells, electrical connections on the body control computer, electrical connections at all of the lights, rust holes above the rear wheels, and the muffler, to name a very few. The O2 sensors expired 6 times. The fuel pump twice, catalytic converter, 4 coils, 10 u joints, (the rear drive shaft was NEVER right, as it always vibrated), two rear ends, all four calipers, four rotors (two rotted away), e-brake cables, all ball joints, radio, rear brake lines, the A/C blending control three times, and an alternator. The check engine light came on a total of 47 times during the five years I owned it, (I finally started counting), and was always SOME issue like an O2 sensor, emissions control, intermittent engine failure, or WHATEVER it could think of to hit me with. The truck only had 62K on it when I about had to give it away in early 2012. The last year that I owned it, out of warranty, it cost me $8500 out of pocket. I finally tried to get my dealer to get me some help with it direct from Dodge. The service manager refused. I resorted to getting hold of the owner of the dealership and asking him. HE got Dodge to pay for the last $2K worth of repairs, whereupon I traded it in. (They now have a NEW Dodge service manager, coincidentally). The day I brought it in to get my new truck, the anti-loc brake system crapped out. That truck was obviously a bad one, and had severe corrsion issues. I did not hammer on it, as it was only used to commute to work and to plow my own driveway. No heavy work other than that, and washed about every week in the winter. The dealer kept me as a customer, albeit with a different brand of truck, because he stepped up and helped me with that lemon. I truly liked driving the truck, but it kinda got the best of me!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Damn, thats the last thing that i would see rust! Mine has like.. zero rust on it. I have 140k on mine too. And yours has way less and yours has problems? That blows. Im gonna inspect mine a little more one day then. But, i dont have any rust that i can see.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Xxaler
Professional

While this thread is up, I just bought a 2009 Dakota SLT 4.7 4x4, oil pan was so weak it would flex if you touched it, but no leaks yet.

Get a fiberglass auto body kit, prep your pan by sanding it good, and use some paint thinner/xylene to clean all the contaminants off (doesn't need to be 100% clean, just cleaner is better for bonding). I did 3 coats of fiberglass cloth over the bad area, wrapped around the drain plug and up towards the bolts. Hard as a rock now.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:31 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2005, 150000 miles and the rear quarters are completely rusted thru at the wheel wells, you can push your finger right thru, only issue I have

Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

YOu guys must all be sad. Im in the pacific northwest, I have zero rust with 145,000 miles. Maybe the previous owners took really really good care of it, not sure.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

My 93 has just a bit of surface rust. Although its been a florida truck all its life. To my knowledge the previous owner drove it up to pa during the late winter. Everything has the Chrysler stamps on it so I assume its factory. Florida has its fair share of acid rain though so its still a bit surprising.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Rick Briarton
Default Oil Pan Rusting

I have 18 Promaster City vans and I have changed the oil pans on 3 of them so far.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Rusting Away