3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Arrrrggg!!! Wiper Issue again!!!!Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
inspec25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Arrrrggg!!! Wiper Issue again!!!!Help

Okay, now that I have claimed down..... maybe one of you guys can help me out....

A couple of weeks ago I had my wipers set on normal and while sitting at a traffic light I noticed the wipers stopping, as if I had selected intermed wipers. They did this for a minute and then everything went back to normal. I called my local dealership as soon as it happened and set up an appointment for the next day.

Next day, the dealership looked at the truck and reported since they couldn't dulpicate the issue...all was good. I asked the dealership what functional test were run to determine the statis was "normal". I get the, what seems to be a normal response, "we hooked the truck up to a computer and found no codes" statement.

I let it go and took the truck home. Tonight, of all nights, it happens again.... I am on a bypass (speed limit 65) and it starts to rain. I select intermed wipers and all is fine. Then out of the freakin blue, the bottom of the sky falls out and all hell breaks loose. So I select the high wipers and guess what happens? Yep, no high wipers!! I get normal speed. I then select the normal speed wipers and get normal for thirty seconds and then it goes to intermed wipers!!!!

Of coarse, I have my daughter in the truck, the traffic is running 65/70 and I can't see a damn thing cuz my wipers are messing up!!! So I call my local dealership (yea, I know... on a cell phone with everything happening) and ask for the service department. The dealership tells me that service left for the night. Just missed them.

I explain to the dealership what is going on and this is not the first time. I get the "well, there is nothing we can do now " response. So I tell the dealership, thats bullsh*t and someone is seeing this condition tonight. At this point I'm approx. 2 minutes from the dealership.

I get there and a manager comes to the dealership door (too afraid to get wet) to meet me. I explain the wipers are on fast but are operating at normal speed. He agreed. This is what set me off---> The manger tells me that if the truck starts working normal again tomorrow, they wont fix the truck- they (service dept must see for themselves before they will fix it)..... Isn't that messed up? I guess to make me feel better, the manager is having the service manager call me tomorrow.

First, has anyone had this same problem? I seached this sight and found a posting with a recall on wipers, but that was for 06 dakotas. BTW - I have a 07 4x4 Quad Cab SLT V8.

Second, Is there a code for this problem?

Third, isn't the customer service at my local dealership awesome?

Tomorrow, the wife and I are suppose to meet friends out on the beach. That puts me in a rough spot. Should I cancel the beach or take the truck in on Monday?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain-X

That sucks man,
but I do know something that will help if it happens again -

Buy your self a bottle of Rain-X, if the wipers ever stop working properly again at least you will still be able to see. Rain -X make the water bead up and roll off the window I use it on my truck and in a down pour I don’t even have to turn on the wipers to see! It’s not a 100% visibility but it’s a big help in a situation like this one.

Get some micro fiber towels and rub it onto the window, do a couple of coats to get it even and when it looks hazy take a dry towel and wipe it down, this might take 10min or so to get the foggy residue off the window and you may have to rub it fairly hard to get it to come off, but if done right you can’t even tell you did anything - except for the water screaming off the window at high speeds. Yah. Take that rainy weather!

Hopefully the dealer get this fixed for ya,

Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has never happened to my 2006, but, i did have a recall that i took care of a static electric charge that can build up in the dashboard, and i remember one of the things that could happen were windsheild wipers acting up like that.

Do you have an 06?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would that be happening if you get a shock everytime you get out of the truck touching the metel on the door

Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 AM
V8MANual
Captain

My '05 wipers are acting up. Sometimes the only way they will work is if I push in wash mode first. Other times they don't work at all. I just don't drive in the rain.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 AM
inspec25

I saw the recall for the 06's but I have a 07. Don't know if it could still apply...

The rain-x is a good idea. I actually used a car wash product with rain-x in it. Rain-x does work, just really didn't seem to help when gallons upon gallons of water is thrown onto the windshield.

Anyways, the service department called me back and they want the truck back to fix the problem. Go figure.... Now they say it's unacceptable for the wipers to work as they are.
So I plan on dropping off the truck this coming monday (06/11). I'll keep you all informed.

Hey that static build-up issue, does that happen in a lot of dodge-jeep vehicles? The reason why I ask is because I traded my 97 dakota in on a brand new 99 Grand Cherokee (just to have a 4x4). I had a really bad problem with getting shocked when existing the jeep. Actually, it got so bad, you did not even have to touch the metal on the door and ZAP!- a blue arch would appear and you would get that awesome shock!!!! I kept taking the vehicle back to the dealership (the same local one I'm having issues with now) and all they would do was static guard the seats!!!! We traded that jeep in only after owning it for 9 months.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

I have the same problem with my 05, had it fixed 1 yr ago. They replaced the switch, now it's happening again. I notice if I jigle the stem of the switch the wiper will work.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
inspec25

I tried giggling the switch too, but the problem does not go away for me.

Actually, when it is dry out, the problem doesn't happpen. I only have this problem when it is raining or wet outside. Example:

The day it rained hard- all day long, the problem existed.
The next day after the rain (and conditions are dry)- problem was gone.

Next rainy day- problem comes back
Day after (and conditions are still wet)- problem stays.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 AM
inspec25

Got a call from the dealership, yesterday. They said it took them nearly all day but they finally got the wiper system to fail!!!

They said the fault was found within the wiper motor and needed to order a new one. The truck should be ready for me this afternoon (6/11).

Quick Reply: Arrrrggg!!! Wiper Issue again!!!!Help