3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'05 Laramie QC V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
james ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Laramie QC V8

I sold my 99 Ram in 2006 and recently have been browsing the truck market. I came across a nice 2005 Laramie QC V8 with about 37k on it. I have been out of touch with trucks for too long to know if there is anything I should be weary of when I look at this one?
Haven't actually seen the truck face to face, just through pics. Has a few options that I could live without (leather, etc) but that's okay too... just want to make sure I am not flirting with trouble by buying something from the 1st model year of the generation.

Any specific problems you guys have seen with 05's or other automatic 4.7 3rd gen's?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my 05. Only problem I've had was a seat belt sesor the dealership replaced for free under warranty. Other than that, spinning tires, lol.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddies brakes and whole rear end shakes when he hits the brakes...

Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 AM
V8MANual
Captain

Originally Posted by Frenchy
I'll bet you like that, don't you? Does it turn you on?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Probably not related but has he checked for the rear axle TSB?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:10 PM
james ram

thanks guys... is that really it? I read some consumer reviews on various sites and a few complained about tie rod ends and transmission issues... i used to get so annoyed when the ford/gm guys would break my ***** about those issues with my Ram (even though i never had any trouble with either...) but before i drop 17k on anything, i like to find out what others know... If this thing had a MT it would already be in the driveway...

unrelated but related, my dad had a 1995 he bought new in the fall of 1994, V6 MT 2wd, got 230k out of it, just retired it in January of this year... factory clutch & U joints, factory exhaust, never changed the diff fluids or axle seals.... and only replaced the tie rods & ball joints once (in 2007, somwhere in the neighborhood of 200k)

Old 06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

90% of transmission problems from dodge SEEM to be fixed. The brakes on the 3g dakota's have issues, but it's mostly just warping rotors and such. Making sure your calipers are in tip top shape, and your rotors aren't just the cheapest junk you can buy are key. Also, the suspension issues that people hear about come down to ball joints going out prematurely. Easy fix if you know what you're doing, and if you don't... well one of the cheapest fixes you can bring it to a shop for.

Also... 1 in like 10,000 cases has a bolt come loose in the steering wheel linkage. Look for a loose bolt and threadlock it. Probably not ever an issue, but just check it and you're good. I don't even know which bolt it would be, but i looked all mine over just in case.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM
ahicks
Rookie

Love my '05 V8/CC/4x4 Laramie (my 4th Dakota!), but 17k sounds WAY expensive, especially with things being the way they are right now. Bought mine from a dealer several months ago, very good condition, for a lot less, and with fewer miles.

My only complaint now is with the door window seals. They're pretty badly deformed, maybe from poor original glass install. Will probably have to replace them. FWIW....

Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got the 05 laramie. Expect to be disappointed by the suspension and ready to spend some money on ranchos. These trucks seem to have vibration issues. I'm still dealing with this myself. The fuel economy is not what I was hoping for either. I'm also getting a lot of wind noise in the cab. If I had it to do over again, I would have kept my '97 Ram. Since I don't have the funds, I'm making the best of it. Theres a lot to like about the truck, just these few annoyances are bothersome.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotta throw the positive out there. I like the styling, truck fits like a glove as far as it's size. Great steering feel. I'm satisfied with the power of the v8, it's got a stock stereo that is actually excellent. no complaints from my passengers in the back. Once I get my vibration fixed, I'll be happy with my truck. The wife loves it........glad that vibration is workin for her

Quick Reply: '05 Laramie QC V8