3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4.7 2008 Dakota oil change questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing about the oil changes on this truck is (at least the V6) That little slide they installed under the oil filter, that controls all the oil that leaks out of the filter to one spot. Its genius. I don't understand why all vehicles don't have that....it makes perfect sense.

You all notice that? It's literally a little slide (like a playground slide in design) that sits under the oil filter, so you loosen the filter and let all the oil drain down the slide. Then you remove the filter and your good to go. Never get too dirty!

It just impressed the hell out of me. Such a simple idea. They must not have been able to do it with the V8??

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 06-17-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000

It just impressed the hell out of me. Such a simple idea. They must not have been able to do it with the V8??
No slides on my V8. I could use one by the oil filter and for the pan. Does the pan drain right above the frame cross member for the V6?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

lol...i have had the V6 and that slide is genious...except when you can't unscrew that oil filter and you can't get any leverage because that darn thing is in the way!

On the v8...plenty of room to unscrew, but darn if it doesn't go everywhere. On the crossmember under the oil pan plug that oil goes everywhere. Dodge did think a little bit, because there is a little hole on the crossmember for it to drain out of (once it has dripped all over the place!)

Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Stitches

I'm probably going to try and change my own oil for the first time ever today. Although this thread doesn't make me any less nervous, I'm glad someone (the OP) likely had as many reservations about screwing up as I do.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stitches
I'm probably going to try and change my own oil for the first time ever today. Although this thread doesn't make me any less nervous, I'm glad someone (the OP) likely had as many reservations about screwing up as I do.
Don't worry about a thing.

My first oil change was awesome. I was like 12 and my family was broke as hell. Mom said "if you don't do it, none of us are eating" wtf harsh? When I drained it there was rust in the oil so I had to pull the pan and get a new gasket... it was a learning experience. Autozone was my source of info. I ended up doing the drain/fill & filter on the tranny 6 months later.

That jeep is still running today.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Stitches

Man, I got under the truck and found the oil filter (I have a plastic slide, yay!) but I have no clue where the oil drain plug is. Well, actually I think I know where it is, but I'm just not 100% sure that is actually it.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Man, I got under the truck and found the oil filter (I have a plastic slide, yay!) but I have no clue where the oil drain plug is. Well, actually I think I know where it is, but I'm just not 100% sure that is actually it.
Behind the axle, directly above the cross bar, pretty much centered, mine has a Magnetic GoldPlug in it so your plug coloring will differ:

Drain pan/plug

Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Stitches

Originally Posted by EliteTempleton
Behind the axle, directly above the cross bar, pretty much centered, mine has a Magnetic GoldPlug in it so your plug coloring will differ:

Drain pan/plug
Yup, that's what I thought it was.

Finally finished!

Although I completed it with (what I perceive to be) minimal mess, I did end up using a whole roll of paper towels lol. And I think I'd be fired if I worked for an oil change place because it took me a long time.

My only concern at the moment was that I may have tightened the oil filter too much. I thought the pictures were saying to tighten until hand tight and then go another 3/4 turn. But my father in law told me it's a 3/4 turn after gasket contact. I hope I didn't screw it up.

And I need a jack or a ramp or something, I barely fit under there. :lol:

Last edited by Stitches; 12-05-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Yup, that's what I thought it was.

Finally finished!

Although I completed it with (what I perceive to be) minimal mess, I did end up using a whole roll of paper towels lol. And I think I'd be fired if I worked for an oil change place because it took me a long time.

My only concern at the moment was that I may have tightened the oil filter too much. I thought the pictures were saying to tighten until hand tight and then go another 3/4 turn. But my father in law told me it's a 3/4 turn after gasket contact. I hope I didn't screw it up.

And I need a jack or something, I barely fit under there. :lol:
you will find out if its too tight when you go to remove it the next time!! lol...do yourself a favor and get one of those filter wrenches that fits over the end of the filter and uses a socket wrench. those things work great on these trucks. Congrats on the first oil change. It will get easier as you do it more. I change the oil myself on all 4 of my vehicles and it takes no longer than 1/2 hour for any of them.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want a super clean change, check out the fumoto engineering drain plugs

I seriously need to find out this slide and a part number for it... I think it would make my truck the cleanest vehicle to change the oil in...

Quick Reply: 4.7 2008 Dakota oil change questions