3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

WOT shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that during WOT shifts the computer pulls timing or fuel or something to lessen the harshness of the shift? I remember reading something about that.

Anyway, ever since I got my Borla put on it the WOT 4-5 shift sounds like a long blatty fart and it's embarrasing. And I suspect it's the way the transmission shifts because the RPM's jump about 200 - 300 and hold there for about a second before going into 5th. And it's during that time when it sounds like the fart.

Get rid of the torque management and it should go away. Maybe.

On a stock 545RFE under wide open throttle and shifting, the TCM sends a request to the PCM to reduce engine power until the shift is complete. Once complete, the PCM resumes 100% engine power. The reduction in engine power is variable but can be up to 30%. This allows the manufacturer to produce a smaller/lighter/more efficient transmission that generates smoother shifts at the cost of performance.

Last edited by spshultz; 08-07-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, it's a backpressure/fuel thing. I've been riding straight pipe and now MINE does that exact same thing. It's not bad for you, but if you don't like the sound (I think it scares people and it's awesome) then just *beating a dead horse* tune it, or redo some piping.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what my truck does. At 5 seconds into the video it 'burps' where the pressure just dumps out when switching into 2nd gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEIf9wXOhCA

Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what is happening is a w.o.t. shifts the truck will lose some power when shifting, causing this terrible noise, i never exsperienced it with the stock system, because of the resonators, but now i have the same issue. i dont mind the noise. it is kinda hard to hear it when the truck shifts. the tire chirp takes away the noise, but that sound is what it is. also you should hear a hemi, when it does it. sounds like some shoot a horse

Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spshultz

Get rid of the torque management and it should go away. Maybe.
I would LOVE to know how to get rid of that torque management crap. Even with an auto trans it should help these trucks a ton.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinartist
I would LOVE to know how to get rid of that torque management crap. Even with an auto trans it should help these trucks a ton.
won't the tuner adjust it? Or does it require the stealership's tool?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have a tuner, so not sure there. Talked to the service manager last year though about trying to have them cancel it out and they said they won't/can't because of some warranty bs. :/

Quick Reply: WOT shifting?