3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Theduke9904
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help...

I currently live in Baltimore, MD and I have a 2005 dodge dakota (NO 4-WHEEL DRIVE) and I am moving to Syracuse, NY where it snows like crazy. The winter weather (ice, sleet, and snow) is really bad there. I want to keep my truck but I know that it is like an ice skate in that type of weather.

I tried to trade the truck in but I was not getting even close to the amount I still owe on the truck.

Is there anything I could do to the truck so I can keep it through the horrendous Syracuse winter? Thank you in advance.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Good snow tires (4) and weight in the rear (200-300 pounds of sand over the rear axle). Mail trucks use chains. Syracuse receives more snow than ice and snow is managable. If you have a peg leg rear, consider installing a LSD. I go to Lake Placid in the winter and am surprised by the number of 2WDs. What you have to be prepared for is the amount of salt they use each season that will eat up your truck if you do not stay on top of if.

Of course 4WD is better, but you will do fine if you use common sence when deciding to go out in a raging storm. Remember, when stopping, it doesn't know how many drive wheels you have and ABS will actually work better in 2WD.

Good Luck on the Move.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to DF the Duke, Wanderer makes some good points and is telling you what I would tell ya. I am going to move this to the 3rd Gen Dakota Section. Some of the 4x2 guys there can give ya more input as well there. Good luck on the move, you should do alright with the Dak

Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
4point7
Rookie

Hey Duke...

I live up in Canada (in a location with more snow than NY). Don't worry about tradin' in your truck. People have been gettin' by for years with only RWD. You'll be fine!

Wanderer's suggestions are spot on. A good set of snow tires (on all 4 corners) and some weight in the back should keep you movin' without a problem. However, carry a couple of bags of kitty litter in the back too. Not only does it add weight but if you do end up stuck you can dump it under the rear tires for some extra traction.

Good luck with the move!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

when i had to two wheel drive truck i would keep shinlges in the back they add wait and a great way to get out of wet spot for added traction

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Shingles are a the best idea i've heard of. Great idea.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

thanks baracis my grandpa told me that one (the old ones are wise)

Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just follow what the guys have already said and you'll be fine. Up until this summer I lived in Troy, NY for college which still gets a lot of winter storms (just not as much off the lakes) and I rarely had to put it in 4 wheel, even with the one legger differential. Troy doesn't salt the roads either because it would all run off into the Hudson if they did. Just take it easy the first few storms till you have the feel for it .

Quick Reply: Need some help...