3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Trailer Tow Wire Harness 7-Way

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
TomC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Tow Wire Harness 7-Way

I have a 2007 3.7L Dak Quad Cab with the Mopar Tow Hitch. I just bought the Mopar wire harness for a 7-way connector (part# 82209045). It was easy to install; just unplug two conector pairs behind the front left wheel and plug in the "T" section of the harness. Connect ground to the frame and +12V to the battery terminal and you should be good to go.

But it doesn't work! I buzzed out the wiring and all the connections are good, it just seems like the harness is T-ing out the wrong connector pins. The harness T's out pins 1 and 8 on the 10-pin connector and pins 9 and 14 on the 14-pin connector. But the parking lights, for example, show up on pin 11 of the 14-pin connector; not used by the harness.

This should be plug and play, but it isn't! Anyone have any experience with this part? What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Originally Posted by TomC
I have a 2007 3.7L Dak Quad Cab with the Mopar Tow Hitch. I just bought the Mopar wire harness for a 7-way connector (part# 82209045). It was easy to install; just unplug two conector pairs behind the front left wheel and plug in the "T" section of the harness. Connect ground to the frame and +12V to the battery terminal and you should be good to go.

This should be plug and play, but it isn't! Anyone have any experience with this part? What am I doing wrong?
IIRC, it wasn't plug and play...there was a connection to cut into and solder...maybe they came out with a newer harness?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM
ahicks
Rookie

Just a guess, but is the power to the various 7 wire connector functions run through some missing relays or fuses/circuit breakers located somewhere up front?

I would doubt the factory 7 wire harness would need to be spliced in to the OEM harness? Agree that should be plug and play.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I know it's an old thread. But I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing your problem??

Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
TomC

I have the wrong harness. For my model year (2007), the design changed to incorporate an electrical box that I assume contains a few relays. The harness that I have, for earlier years, is just wiring - no electrical box. The connectors are the same for both harnesses, but the pin assignments changed. The new harness, by the way, would require one soldered splice. I ended up splicing in a four-wire connector to the tail-light wires, which got me through the vacation that I was preparing for at the time. I put the harness on the shelf, intending to make it work later, but the four-wire hack job has done just fine and the old harness still sits there.

As an aside, I tried to return the harness to the dealer at the time to trade it in for the correct one, but since I had opened it and it was not pristine, they would not take it back.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:44 PM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just figured out a similar problem with my 2006 Dakota. I bought the truck used in '08 and didn't realize my backup lights weren't working until my neighbor told me. I followed it through the FSM wiring manual and couldn't figure anything out. I took it to a dealer and they pulled some codes and sent them to the Dodge engineering dept., but never got anything back. Yesterday I did some tracing and figured out that the Mopar #82209045 wiring harness (that is designated for my year and model, without the factory tow package) is pinned incorrectly. It has the reverse light power (white/light green) swapped with a ground, so when the Front Control Module tries to power up the reverse lights, it connects straight to ground. I disconnected the jumper tee from the harness (connector C106 behind the mudflap at the back of the drivers side front wheel well) and plugged it back in the original way and the short to ground went away. BTW, I have an electronic FSM for the 2006 version and a hard copy for the 2007 model. The 2007 has one extra wire at pin 9, but the rest are in the same position. I had cut the reverse wire away from the FCM harness chasing the ground, so I'll have to re-connect it to see if the reverse lights will work now (when I get it back from my son...., ;-)

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Wire Harness 7-Way