3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

33" tires on factory ride height dakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure it can be done. I would imagine you would have to lengthen the bump stops, which should be farily easy. Limiting the uptravel with prevent the tire from rubbing the upper part of the fender. That with a 2.5" front kit and 2" rear, a bit of trimming and the correct wheel/spacer combo to remove possible fender rub, or frame rub, it could work. I think the big key to getting such a tire to fit and work is to reduce the uptravel by lowering the bump stops. You may even have to reduce the turning radious of the truck a bit.

Its quite a bit to give up in comfort for the larger tire. But if your looking to stick 33" tires under your dakota, comfort shouldnt be your #1 concern.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I recall that guy just did it to see if they'd fit...

he took them off and put other tires on...

I believe those were from a jeep he had...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

yeah i figured they were jeep rims too. as most every other vehicle out there don't have that lug pattern. mostly a cj...as the rest are 5x4.5

...I have 38s on my jeep in the garage...that'd really test clearance issues....i seriously may try to stuff those and work around them...I don't wanna drive to my parents house to take the other cj's wheel off

Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain

if I was to get a rim that made the tire site an inche or so more out side the fender. on a 18" rim what would be the biggest tire I could go with having the extra inche of clearance for turning.

thought I'd ask. is this possible to do?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
coondog05
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the more you push the tire out the worse it gets.... the major rubbing is on the inside of the mud flap, not the frame! i had half inch wheel spacers and it rubbed way worse than without...the farther in the tire it misses the flap to the inside... turn your wheel and look at how it clears the flap and you will understand a bit more....

Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

coon. you know if it will hit the rear flap or front flap first? I have been wanting to get a new steel bumper for the truck and this might help clear up some clearance issues.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

mprohr, i checked a dealer today for the 285s and they said kumho doesn't make it. Checked their site and it shows "n/a" for that size too

Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 PM
sleds
Veteran

I looked at the Kumho when I got my tires. No 285/70 17's. That is why I ended up going with the Hankooks. I think you would be able to fit 285/70 17's with just a front spacer, but as stated, the only problem might be the tire rubbing on the fender if you bottom out the suspension. Coondog is right, the main rubbing issue is on the rear of the fender, right where the mudflap is, that is where you rub first. The front bumper doesn't seem to be a problem with rubbing. But you do have to pull the inner fender liner forward with a tie wrap. My problem is I am rubbing on the frame when at full lock. I think if these wheels were offset about a 1/4" to 1/2" more that would prevent the frame rubbing and then you would have to trim the mudflap area a bit more.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:11 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by studlyblueiz
mprohr, i checked a dealer today for the 285s and they said kumho doesn't make it. Checked their site and it shows "n/a" for that size too
265/70/17 it is. Then I won't have to worry anyway.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
railrunner

I have 15x10's with 32x11.50's on my 05 dakota and the brakes are very close but they do clear. Someone told me that it was because of the offset but either way I have the rims that everybody says won't fit on my dakota. I also have a 3 inch body lift and the tires rub just a little on the front bumper.

Quick Reply: 33" tires on factory ride height dakota