3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust System Update!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
ND Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System Update!!!

As I mentioned in the first post, I left the FRONT resonator on. I've driven it for a week now and although it had a nice throaty sound it was to quiet at idle.

Today I had the front resonator removed and WOW, just the sound I wanted. It's got a REALLY neat throaty sound when you get on it plus a nice sound at idle. I feel like I'm 16 again (that was a long time ago).

Oh, I'm a stickler for keeping records and I fill every 200 miles. I had a full tank when I put the system on a week ago and when I filled it I thought maybe my gas gauge wasn't working right. I'm usually right around 15 mpg for around town driving but hit 16.9 this time which REALLY surprised me as I have been driving much more aggressive cause I liked to hear it growl.

I am a happy camper to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
pack154
Professional

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.

Do you have the magnaflow muffler? When you took the front res. off, did it increase the interior drone? I have a flowmaster and I had to put the front res. back on because the interior cab drone was too much.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 AM
ND Dakota

Just the Magnaflow 12586 with NO resonators. Has a growl to it when you get on it. Has a nice rumble at idle. Seems pretty quiet when you are just cruising. Haven't had it on the highway yet. It runs about 2000 rpm at 75 mph, so I will have to see if it has any sound in the cabin. Really growls when its pulling.

You can sure hear the shifts now and you know when the tourque converter locks up.

I like it just the way it is now and hopefully it won't get to loud as it breaks in.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
pack154
Professional

Let us know what if it will be too much drone on the highway around 2k. I'm thinking of replacing my flowmaster with a magnaflow and dumping the front resonator.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ND Dakota
Just the Magnaflow 12586 with NO resonators.
Ha ha, I told you to remove all those resonators. I'm glad its working for you! Now go out and enjoy your new rumble.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 AM
ND Dakota
Default Damn!!!!!

Well, I took it out on the highway and they were doing work on the roadway so I could just drive it 65 mph, however I did kick it up to 75 for a short stretch.

At 65 it's starting to get pretty loud, at 70 louder and 75 (2000 rpm) pretty annoying!!!

Might be able to find that "sweet spot" at around 2200 rpm, probably pushing 80 mph.

Looks like I will be using my car when I go on a highway cruise.

I do really like it in town.

I wouldn't think taking the other resonator off would have made that much difference.

Oh well, don't know unless you try it.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 PM
pack154
Professional

I had to put a front resonator (actually a glass pack) back on because half of my drive to work is interstate and the drone was really annoying. I loved the sound around town when I had the resonator off. So the magnaflow sounds like it will drone as bad as the flowmaster without both resonators. Oh well.

I'd leave them off if you don't do too much speeds around 70mph.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually cruise at 78 on the highway, the exhaust doesn't make a ton of noise there because the tires drown it out (and the radio drowns out the tires), lol. One of the things the guy at my local muffler shop said he likes about cherry bomb is it tends to direct more sound out the pipes and less in the cab. He said if I had a flowmaster in my setup it would drone in the cab like mad. I only get a drone at high idle when I start the truck cold and just as I get going if I'm accelerating slowly, no resonators either.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 AM
sleds
Veteran

It seems to be that 2000rpm that it is really annoying. But with the body lift the drone is not really noticable compared to before.

To pack154, how is it with that glass pack in there? Did it reduce your exhaust sound back to where it was with the resonator on?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 PM
pack154
Professional

Originally Posted by sleds
It seems to be that 2000rpm that it is really annoying. But with the body lift the drone is not really noticable compared to before.

To pack154, how is it with that glass pack in there? Did it reduce your exhaust sound back to where it was with the resonator on?
It's almost brought it back to what it sounded like with the front resonator on. It's alittle louder both outside and inside the cab. I like it but I'm thinking of getting rid of both the flow and glass pack and just going with the magnaflow but I'm to worried that it might drone too much like it was before with just the flow.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Update!!!