3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lifting a Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting a Dakota

So I have a 2006 Dakota 4X4. I've wanted to give it some lift for a while, mostly since I got stuck in snow and really don't want to do that again. I've been told often "DO NOT DO THIS!" Then today I see a 3rd Gen Crew cab that has obviously had about a 3" lift. I don't know if it was a body lift or a frame lift.

It didn't look that bad. I want ground clearance mostly, that's why I got stuck. So a body lift ain't gonna make it.

So, I need some thoughts on this. I've heard, because of the front axle, that this is bad. The CV Joints can't handle the angle.

So, what to do? I've already put a leveling kit on, and it looks great this way, but I think I can do more.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
canadiandodge
All Star

theres not more out there other than a body or a custom lift

Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

There's not much out there, PERIOD, for a 3rd Gen Dakota, when it comes to customizing. Almost have to make your own everything.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put a 2" rear block or an add-a-leaf in the rear (unless you love the leveled look.) , and get bigger tires under the truck. That's it unless your going to do a body lift. Tires are the one true way to lift EVERYTHING, axles and all.

I use my truck for work often...I cant justify a body lift (not to mention i have a 4x2, and the most off road i see are yards and dirt trails for work), but if you can justify it, getting a body lift and then going to a significant increase in tire size like 285/75 will gain you quite a bit more ground clearance. Trade off with all that is, the body lift is 3", thats a lot to move a body off the frame. Plus the kit available to us, since its 3" doesn't come with motor mount relocaters and such, as some of the better kits on the CJs do. With our kit you have to hack the radiator mounts and re locate it, because the engine is sunken 3" deeper into the engine bay. No thanks, I dont want to frankestein my new pickup truck. I could see if It was my second vehicle, some sort of trail machine.

The days of me toying with leveling kits, blocks, and all the other junk that practically doesn't make a difference are over.

Body lift it and large tires, or deal with stock. :\

Good Luck.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 09-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM
ahicks
Rookie

I agree. You've seen the resulting angle the leveling kit has left the half shafts at. I don't think I want to increase that any further on my truck. Those are the 17" rims on your truck as well? If so, I'm faced with that same exact scenario commuting into northern lower Michigan's best efforts at getting me stuck on a regular basis in season. When the weather's at it's worst, that's when I'm most likely to be in it in search of good snowmobiling conditions. I'm planning on installing a little more aggressive snow tire when the season hits and calling it quits with that. From my experience with previously owned Dakota's, that should leave me in pretty good shape for what I need.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only TRUE ground clearance lift is bigger tires. suspension just puts your frame higher...not your axle.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Phoenix.no624

If you want something thats got alot of off-road capability I wouldnt count on the Dakota. My Dakota got stuck in a foot of snow one time, crappy tires and alot of weight will do that. I had to bust out my basically stock '95 Wrangler and leave the Dakota there till I could get someone to help me yank it out. Oh the fun we have...

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
hwcurtice
Veteran

So,, being as I have the leveling kit, and can now install up to 32" tires, What tires are best in snow? I know the stock tires are almost worthless in snow in the Northwest. Yes, I got stuck TWICE last season.

Should be easier to get out now though, with the winch...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the BFG A/T Ko's on my 1998 Exploder for two years and never got stuck once. I live in Calgary AB, Canada and make frequent (weekly) trips into some pretty snowy places to go back country skiing or snowshoeing. I have driven through 70cm of fresh wet snow and never once got stuck. I just got my 09 Dakota so I haven't had a chance to try it in even mildly cold weather but I can tell you that tire made a HUGE difference on my Ford. I think I'm going to try the new Goodyear DuraTrac this year because my favorite tire shop has them on for 40% off and the zig-zag micro-grooves look like they would be the **** on ice.

Just my personal input.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your new Dakota have a limited slip rear or is it open? When it comes to snow, I would say thats probably the most important.

Quick Reply: Lifting a Dakota