3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

HID Lights Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 AM
ap0091
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Lights Problem

Im having a problem with my lights:
My HID Lights will come on Flicker and then go off. And after they do that, they wont even flicker anymore (turning the lights onn/off) until they want to.

A Fix that i have found is togo under the truck and unplug them and then plug them back in, ofcourse no-one wants to do this when they are dressed up, or in a public parking lot etc..

So What Can i do?
I called Tech Support and they first suggested removing the plug in for the highbeams, I did that and problem still exists.

I called again and he suggested 2 more things
Increase the fuse from 10A to 15A or check all the cables.
I checked the cables and they all seem to be fine, but when i looked for the fuse i couldnt find the right one. I found on that was Park Lamp or soemthing and that was a 30A fuse so i wasnt sure if that was right. If someone could please tell me the name of the Headlight Fuse i would appreciate that alot.

If the fuse could not be the problem am i gonna have to install a relay or something??

Thanks for all the help, i need to get this problem fixed ASAP as im in college and i kind of look stupid going under my truck everynight to mess with my lights. I even had to do it in the walmart parking lot today and that wasnt good.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket HID kits are always a bad ideo IMO. If you must have one then make sure you use parts out of wrecked cars equipped with HID lights from the factory. Your HID's flicker then bow out because the ballast has failed. There is no fix for it other than replacing it. When you unplug then plug them back in it temporarily resets the relay inside the ballast which is why it works the next time. The flicker is caused because the ignitor briefly starts the bulb, but the ballast does not take over the operation of the HID bulb.

Here is a post I made a while back on my local motorcycle forum about why HID conversion kits are and should remain illegal:

Here is the most comprehensive study (they actually gave it a fair shot) why HID retrofit kits are for good reason illegal.

I do believe strongly in projector retrofits however and these were not tested in this particular article.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Eric show us the pictures

Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had aftermarket HID's as well. I never suggested that cheap projectors were the solution, and if you read the article the hotspot isn't the issue either. They are illegal because the glare they produce for other drivers is immense. The cutoff can look perfect, but there is always, 100% of the time, additional glare that escapes.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 AM
ap0091
Professional

Ya thats what i was thinking, and if i got HID fogs also, would those need a relay aswell?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Corks
Professional

if you looking for a decent ballast i may have a couple laying around. I used them in my WJ for a while before i sold and they are the same brand and work fine. They are only for low's though

Quick Reply: HID Lights Problem