3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Max Towing Capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Max Towing Capabilities

What's the most anyone has bumper pulled in here? I was looking at the stock setup and it seems to be pretty damn well connected to the frame. Watcha guys think?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200# tongue / 2000# trailer is the max, but I have a feeling that's to keep people safe. Bumper-towers usually don't have trailer brakes.

Any aftermarket hitch bolts up to the bumper hitch, but also has 4 big *** bolts that attach elsewhere. Helps distribute the load. I'd stick with the ratings.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM
bain64
Veteran

I wouldn't tow anything more than a riding lawnmower on a bumper. I tore the hitch from the bumper on my old 93 Toyota truck, granted it had some rust. For less than 150 you can get a class 3 hitch to attach to the frame of the truck. Bolt on installation too I believe.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes they are bolted on with 6 bolts, 3 on each side, and $150 should be the max raping... I think I have seen some around 120 bucks. Hell you are the ebay queen, I have seen some used ones for 75.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Yes they are bolted on with 6 bolts, 3 on each side, and $150 should be the max raping... I think I have seen some around 120 bucks. Hell you are the ebay queen, I have seen some used ones for 75.
I've seen some new for $75.

Alright guys, guess that's a no on the bumper pull. What about on the hitch? Would an '85 Ram on a trailer be ok?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Here's what a guy said about me towing an '85 1/2 ton 4x2 Ram on a trailer, watcha guys' think? BTW, the Ram weighs a little under 4k from what I understand.

"no matter what you are going to be overloaded, the question is going to be how much.
another thing to consider is a pickup's weight distribution is very nose heavy so your tongue weight is going to be extremely heavy(Way too heavy). My trailer was about the same size and with my durango I could not move it back enough to get the trailer tongue weight down. the best I could do was about 20% on the tongue and that squatted my 1 ton badly! so you are going to have even MORE tongue weight because the durango's weight distribution is better than a pickup and you are pulling it with a lighter duty truck."

Old 09-17-2009, 09:36 PM
mxdakota47
Rookie

DO NOT PULL WITH YOUR BUMPER HITCH. It bent the snot out of my own and am currently trying to find a new stock black one.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mxdakota47
DO NOT PULL WITH YOUR BUMPER HITCH. It bent the snot out of my own and am currently trying to find a new stock black one.
I meant with a regular hitch, not bumper.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

ya...the weight of the RAM shouldn't be an issue, but its the tongue weight that you might be worried about. DO NOT USE THE BUMPER TO PULL 4K+ LBS. You can do it with a hitch and correct ball...but hopefully you don't have too much on the tongue or you could have some handling/broken rear suspension issues. Are we talking around the neighborhood, or cross country trip here?

Old 09-18-2009, 02:36 AM
sleds
Veteran

I presume that guy was talking about the Ram facing forward on the trailer. What if you face it backwards? The only problem with that is that you want to make sure you have enough tongue weight. Not enough is worse that too much. Things tend to get a bit sketchy when the trailer is trying to lift the back of your truck up. I too don't think it is too much weight for our trucks. Max towing is almost 7000lbs with the towing package.

Quick Reply: Max Towing Capabilities