3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

545RFE fluid change confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take a standard transmission in a Dodge or Chrysler ANYTHING if I could. I mean I don't mind an auto, I have always had a stick shift, but as far as the NUMBERS go, which dont lie (reguardless of your personal experience "i have a ram with 350k on the original tranny". I dont give a sh*t), I would take a stick in a Dodge truck over the AT anyday, based on the reliability. But i guess its fair to say, generally, standard trannys across the entire automotive industry, when not abused, are MUCH more reliable then an automatic. This makes sense though, they are mcuh less complex. I've never had to service one, and I never waste my time changing a manual trannys fluid, its just not necessary.

If I had an auto, I would pay to have the fluid changed though. They usually have a decent price on the flush and fill.

I thought dealers only change like 25% of the fluid when you get the service done? Or is that false??

Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But still...

Clutch = less expensive to repair than a new transmission and torque converter...

Old 09-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Originally Posted by ericemery
I dont hear about new drivers blowing TC's... or blowing a TC from too hard of a launch...
Ive never had an automatic... so I didn't know if TC's were something that goes bad or not...

haha

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

The DSG's are pretty cool, and I'm sure they're fun to drive. But there is still something much more visceral about rowing your own gears. When I get a second car down the road it will be stick shift.

Quick Reply: 545RFE fluid change confusion