3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

545RFE fluid change confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 PM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 545RFE fluid change confusion

Hey All,
I fineally got off my rear and did the trans filters and attempted complete fluid change this weekend. When I was finished with the filters and pan I gave it 5 quarts, pulled of the trans line at the RAD cooler (the RH one is pressure, don't ask how I found out!)
I stuck some 3/8 hose on it and stuck in in a bucket. I started the enging and not so quickly learned after 5 quarts it only can out as I poured it in, so it looks like the fluid pumps from the pan thorough the cooler then to the TQ converter.

Does the other hose have vacume so I can stick it in a bucket of fresh ATF+4 and it will suck it into the Tourq converter and thorough the rest of the trans?

Has anyone else tried this?

I read a writeup of some guy doing this on a RAM but it definatly did not work on mine.

ANY comments are welcome.

LB

Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh the joys of the six speed...

Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

Sounds like you went to alot of trouble, mess, and exspense. I personally would just pay the small fee to have it done by a pro. Or maybe you are the type that enjoys doing it yourself. Anyway I would think that if one hose pumps out the fluid the other would draw it in. But perhaps the sucktion is not strong enough to pull it up from a bucket. You may have to feed the hose from up above some how.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it most definitely goes through the Torque Converter, into the cooler, and back to the transmission.

The torque converter is where a lot of heat is produced, so it wouldn't make sense for it to go through a cooler, into the converter, and back into the transmission sump.

Why do you think that 5 quarts that came out was the same 5 quarts you put in? Was it really clean looking, and the fluid WAS kind of dirty?

When doing the fluid on my 1996, I always disconnected the return line, and as fluid was coming out of the cooler, I would pour in (through the dipstick/filler tube) the new fluid.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
LB
Veteran

I got 6 qts from the pan, I used gallon milk jugs and that fluid was dark red. Once I started the engine I immediatly got 5 quarts in the next jugs, much lighter red thad from the pan, then it almost stopped coming out. As I poured several quarts in the filler tube, it would come out the same rate, when I stopped, it stopped (these jugs were all much lighter red color).

Dodgerules86 I hope you are correct, if so I did not waste 8 qts of fluid!

I guess I will find a shop that has a fluid transfer machine and supply them the ATF+4. Most shops I have talked to want to use there universal fluid and add an additive that brings it to ATF+4 specs, I don't trust that.

It is much smoother with the fluid change though, very nice.

Oh and Frenchy, nothing like a wark sunday afternoon and ATF running down your arms!
Yah, I would actually like to drive a 6 speed to see how they perform.

Thanks for the comments,
LB

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

There is still no better feeling than pressing in the clutch pedal, shifting into gear, releasing the pedal, and going. (And repeating)
Even better when your in the passenger seat, and this hot chick is doing the driving, and you know that "Hey! This chick knows how to drive."

Instead of "Oh my! You mean I have to select 'D' and turn a steering wheel?"

I heart my manual gearboxes.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
"Hey! This chick knows how to drive."
You mean there is reasons other than this?

I just asked a girl if she wanted to drive my truck the other night, she was like, uhmmm... no.

Then blah blah blah, I started my truck up and moved it, and she asked some people if my truck was a manual cuz I was giving it gas before it would move, ie. it wasn't lurching forward without me giving it gas.

She walked over, and screamed, "Why the hell didn't you tell me it was a manual! No **** I want to drive it!"

I denied her. I said, I offered once, and that's all you get...

Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

I think if more cars were manuals, the country would be a little less fat.
Instead of having one hand on the wheel and the other clinching a double-quarter pounder, it would be wheel and stick.

Although, while it would be harder to do, people would still talk and drive. Or text and drive. Or sext and drive!

OK, maybe with how people in this country are with multi-tasking, we are better off with mostly automatics. (Or not. This way we can "thin the heard")

Quick Reply: 545RFE fluid change confusion