3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lock-Right locker

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 PM
scottscan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock-Right locker

what do you guys think of these for street use with some 4.10 gears running 30 1/2 tall tires ? are these the kind that click when you make a turn ? check out the link http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=2489

Last edited by scottscan; 09-29-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street use I wouldn't go with a locker, those are typically best in off-road / straight line drag situations. If you're on the power in a turn it will be jumpy because it will force the inside and outside wheels to turn at the same RPM. Street use your best bet is an LSD like an Auburn or a True Trac.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

Altair is right. I installed one of these on my 98 Ranger years ago. It was alot of fun to rip the tires free, but you couldn't give it any throttle while in a turn or you would go sideways (also fun, but dangerous).

Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

ya...the lock rite locker, detriot lockers, and others that are mechanically engaged will give you issues around corners if you give too much gas.

Eric is talking about a locker like an 'ARB' locker which is an air actuated locker so you can effectively disengage it for street use.

If you are wanting to get additional traction off road, this is the best way to go.

If you want traction on-road I would stick w/ an LSD like Altair had mentioned.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
scottscan
Professional

thanks guys for the info. i guess it's a LSD Auburn diff for me when i get ready to do this. just found this one on ebay, Auburn LSD-4.10 gears ( does't list brand ) - master install kit. what do yall think ? check out this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYS...=p4506.c0.m245 i know if i do 4.10 gears i what the quitest i can get, any suggestions ?

Last edited by scottscan; 09-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have this version of it. its from Richmond/LockRight/Powertrax.
it was originally called a "noslip", but now its a "powertrax".

its supposed to be a tad better behaved than a LockRight and has a couple of extra parts.

i like mine, but it does feel different and you have to get used to it. if you get too heavy on the gas in a 90* turn on wet roads it can spin one or both tires.

in the mud - its awesome. if you get stuck with this, you're a stuck sob.
one thing i don't like. when driving in the grass, the inside tire chews up the grass like a 4wheeler does.
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/nsoperation.html

Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 PM
scottscan
Professional

thanks dhvaughan, lots of good info on the link. about how much was yours, and did you put it in yourself ? does it do ok for street use ? my truck is a pavement queen !!!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM
whistle pig
Rookie

scottscan, I had a powertrack no slip in my Jeep Cherokee. chrco 8 1/4 rear end. It was cheap, as compaired to an arb or any other selectable locker. I think around 350. Install was super simple. took an hour tops. it doesnt show where you live. If its anywhere you have snow or ice. It will be horrible. Gas it on ice and it'll spin you 180 in a heartbeat. With the jeep I would just lock in the front axle and be fine. Still a little squirly sometimes. For all out street trachtion it's great. The no slip is a little quiter than some of the others. You get the hang of driving it after a while. I loved mine I'd say buy it, only if you live in warm climate or have another daily driver. Mine lasted about 40k. miles of hard abuse.

Quick Reply: Lock-Right locker