3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dakota Power outlets

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:31 PM
05Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dakota Power outlets

My 05-Dakota has 2 power outlets. One on the dash and one in the console. According to the owners manual, the one in the console can be configured by the user to operate when the key is off or on, and the one in the dash is FIXED to shut off when the key is off. My truck is "exactly" opposit. I can configure the one in the dash via the fuse box, and the one in the console is ON always.

What do you think 2005 Dakota owners? How is yours configured? Is the owners manual messed up or is my truck wired wrong?

Thanks,
Randy

Old 04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Hootenanny
Default RE: 2005 Dakota Power outlets

Since I tow my 05 4 x 4 behind my motorhome, I had to have Dodge reprogram the dash outlet to be "hot" all of the time in order to support my brake assist when towing. Sorry, don't have a second outlet. Seems to work for me.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:14 PM
DeletedUser01

Dunno know about mine but will check the next time i'm in it which should be a few hours from now. I know for a fact that the one i have my Radar Detector connected to shuts off when i turn truck off, i'll check to see which one it's in for ya.

Check this out for me and let me know if your dakota does this.

With your head light on turn off your truck and tell me if your lights stay on. Mine does 30 minutes later they were still on and never turned off.

What i had to do was turn the key to on then shut the lights off then turned key to off and removed key.
Whats up with that anyone?

Let me know and i'll do the same for you.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:16 AM
m10rules

Dash one works with Key, the console one is always on. Haven't got that far into playing with it yet to find out I could reprogram them.

My lights stay on also but for only about minute or 2 and then they go off.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:18 PM
05Dakota

If my headlights are ON when I turn off the truck, they stay on for a couple of minutes then go off. If I turn the lights OFF before I shut off the truck, they stay off.

If your lights are on after the truck is shut off, you should be able to turn them off by turing the headlight switch to ON then to OFf again.

From reading the other posts, it sounds like my power outlets are working fine, but the owners manual is reversed. FYI, in case anyone wants to change your dash outlet to be on all the time, you just have to move the power outlet fuse from one location to another.

Thanks for your help :-)
05Dakota

Old 08-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Richard Sammon

Could someone post pictures of the location for these? I've only ever thought mine had one till I read the section in the owners manual about it. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The second power outlet is only in the full floor console. If you have the front center seat with the small folding console, then you do not have the second outlet.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:32 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Sammon
Could someone post pictures of the location for these? I've only ever thought mine had one till I read the section in the owners manual about it. Thanks.
open your center console and look.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Richard Sammon

Originally Posted by dakotaff
The second power outlet is only in the full floor console. If you have the front center seat with the small folding console, then you do not have the second outlet.
I've got a wide, flip open arm rest and two cup holders. From what I found after I posted that I don't think I have it. If my truck was cleaner I'd post a pic.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Look at the first two pictures in the first post of this thread.

First picture = No 2nd Power Outlet.

Second Picture = Should have a second Power Outlet, not sure if all of these consoles have it.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dakota Power outlets