3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Passenger Airbag Sensor issue (after front console swap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag Sensor issue (after front console swap)

Problem with my passenger airbag sensor after I put my front seats back in. The battery was disconnected and all 3 fuses pulled while the seats were out. Airbag lights, both on instrument cluster and over radio bezel, light up when passenger seat is empty. When someone is sitting in the seat, all lights go out, even if I press on the passenger seat the lights go out. Come back on after about a minute when the seat is empty. I know a few members in the past have had this issue.

I'm going to mess around with the wiring and plug too see if I can correct it somehow. Worst comes to worst, I'll go to the dealer and have the sensor recalibrated, hopefully covered under warranty. Any other input would be appreciated.

The good news is the front console swap is complete, love the storage in this thing.

Wet1.jpg
100_1539.jpg

Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early on my truck had an issue with the light going on and off when I hit bumps. It was throwing codes that would not clear.

The issue was the seat sensor is just a bent cable that when weight is on the seat it recognizes that someone is there. All you need to do is adjust the sensor cable.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lights never come on...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

That console looks sweet dude.

Where did you get it?

You got pictures of the installation? Any roadbumbs?

Last edited by MitsuRaider; 08-11-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
.:Chainman:.
Amateur

Console swap looks great..I second MitsuRaider..where did you get it??

Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Akizzle

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
That console looks sweet dude.

Where did you get it?

You got pictures of the installation? Any roadbumbs?
Originally Posted by .:Chainman:.
Console swap looks great..I second MitsuRaider..where did you get it??
There are two on ebay, but a junkyard should work as well, I'm trying to buy one as we speak! Now the only question i have, is it fairly bolt on or is fab work required? either way i'm getting rid of the 20 seat and just insert there!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Originally Posted by Akizzle
There are two on ebay, but a junkyard should work as well, I'm trying to buy one as we speak! Now the only question i have, is it fairly bolt on or is fab work required? either way i'm getting rid of the 20 seat and just insert there!
Is from a 2nd gen right?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The console is from a 2nd Gen Dakota. I picked it up on Ebay, it was taken out of the truck when it was brand new, probably a fleet vehicle that put some custom box in the middle. All of the bolts were in a plastic bag. So I got a brand new console with power outlet for $100. I had previously bid for one on Ebay which went for $200, which I obviously didn't get.

The Good:
  • All of the mounting holes are already in our trucks.
  • The center seat can be removed by 4 screws.
  • The wiring for the power outlet is already in our trucks.
  • The plugs between the console and the floor are different. There were only 2 wires in both, power & ground. Just grab a 2 wire plug from any auto store and splice them together) I used this one:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=141583

The Bad:
  • The holes and wiring are under the carpeting, you only need to figure out where to cut the carpet to expose the mounting holes and wiring. The wiring is under a lump and real easy to find, the mounting holes are easy too, just measure on the console. You can kinda feel where the holes are through the carpet. You will not actually feel the hole, there is rubber covering the hole, I guess to prevent water from splashing up.
  • Once the center seat is removed, there are 2 brackets on each seat that need to be removed, as they extend into the middle area.
  • The passenger seat brackets are held on by rivets (studs), well kinda rivets, they are flat metal with no hole or indentations. You have to center punch in a starting point so you can drill out the metal studs. Start with a small bit and slowly go larger until it pops or you can snap it or chisel it off. There are 4 of these to drill out.
  • The Drivers seat is really stupid. The floor mounts on the seat and the bracket that extends to attach the center seat is one solid piece. You have to cut the brackets off, I used a reciprocating saw and it cut through like butter. It may be easier to cut the passenger seat brackets off also, I wish I would have done it that way.
  • And of course my Air bag sensor issue, but I'm sure I'll work that out soon enough.
The power outlet stays on when the truck is off, which is great. It's not really tough at all, and if you can find one in good condition, it's a real nice console.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

THanks Man, that was extremely helpful.

You have the best color option =D
bad *** leather seat covers
and now a bad *** center console!!

definitely one of my favorite dakotas in DF!

Guys, I found one on ebay right now for about $200 bucks shipped

Im kinda cught up on another project right now but as soon as I'm done I am definitely doing this mod.

Here is the pic of the one I found on Ebay so the rest of you can see how it looks.

Last edited by MitsuRaider; 08-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
marcsnyder05
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good dakotaff. correct me if I'm wrong but that is the same console as what is in the 3rd Gens. It looks just like that one that came in my truck.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag Sensor issue (after front console swap)