3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

A suspension Lift we always wanted but can't have

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They dont make lower control arms the kits is just the uppers and the springs

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, nice truck but too much lift and chrome for me.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Do we need lower control arm? They only make the uppers

Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
mopar!
Rookie

you have to at least have that extension that makes the lower control arm that 4 inches lower to create that same 4 inches of lift.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 PM
sullysdetailing
All Star

Ok thanks. i gonna go to my local shop and see how much it will cost me to extend the fornt arms. and rear block plus rancho shocks in the rear.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stay as far away from chassis tech as your mouse permits! you have been warned.

that being said. if you extend the uppers you have to extend the lowers or your geometry will get all screwed up. and a shop cant just extend your lowers, they have to make a jig and build a whole new set. (if they know what their doin)

The kit im working on (slowly but money is also slow) will only lift about 3 inches, but you could cycle the suspension all the way up into the fender and droop it all the way down until the arms hit the coil (which is why theres limit straps) and the control arms (top and bottom) will be extended 3" giving a 6" wider stance in the front.

for the guys just looking for a show and shine lift. all you need to do is make longer upper control arms and a drop bracket for your lowers. *Warning* these junk lifts actually TAKE AWAY from suspension travel. so plan on buying lots of ball joints

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 11-05-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 AM
redak4x4
Default I know exactly what kind of lift is on the white 3rd gen...

This guys truck was in a semi-recent issue of truckin'. This is word for word what the magazine said "Suspension parts for the '05 Dakota were hard to come by, so Grizz [the owner of the truck] did what any custom-truck enthusiast would do: he made it work. Using a Performance Auto Group 3-inch body lift, custom 10-way adjustable coilovers from Chasis Tech, and rear Pro Comp lift shocks, the Dakota was up in the air enough to clear 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler M/T tires mounted onto American Eagle 16x8-inch wheels with OMF's Sim-U-Lock system bolted onto them..." Hopefully that was of some help to you.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
flyboy1304
Veteran

Originally Posted by mopar!
I don't know about you guys but I have always wondered where this guy got such a large suspension lift for the 3rd gen dakota... does anyone know any info on this lift and where maybe I could buy one?
That is a 2wd dakota, Its a custom one of lift with a PA body lift. Its a show truck the guy lives in SOCAL. It was featured a SEMA along time ago its been around for a long time. I found this in 06 when i bought my Dak and found DF. BTW that grill is also custom and the ONLY one. I contacted the guy who made it and wanted one and he won't make another one. you can look up this truck on Car domain, look up Duwayne's Grizz pirate truck or something to that effect. It is now painted with a pirate theme. sometimes its lowered sometimes its lifted. depending one what show he's going to. Its also for sale. The lift is from airbagit I think or chassis tech. (SAME PPL) that truck has probably been posted on here like 30 times since i posted it on here in 06. Chassis tech is not going to produce a lift for these trucks atleast not a quality one for a 4x4.... Chassis tech and airbagit have terriable customer service and wont return anything... even when they mess up and send you the wroing part... they will scre you over. I found this ut first hand when i ordered parts for a pre-runner S10 project I had in 04... Sadily the aftermarket has forgotten about the Dakota. Hopefully They will come around someday. Since i first bought my dakota and messes with it... I (out of boredome) have built a 4x4 Xterra, a vw baja bug, and two civics.... I'm (like you guys) STILL hoping that somebody will produce a good quality 3-4" lift kit that will allow us to run a 33" tire with no binding issues...ect. I still haven't installed my Body lift yet. Ithink I might when i get home from Baghdad this time.

Last edited by flyboy1304; 01-16-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
flyboy1304
Veteran

airbag it and chasis Tec are the same company they suck... and have terriable customer service. They will sel you the wrong parts and not give you a refund. I had bought stuff from them when i was building an S10 Prerunner in 04. That's my warning I will give to you guys. The lift he has in the picture above in the previouse post Is way bigger than a few inches if you can't tell by the HUGE blocks he has in the rear and his tires are bigger than 33's.. I believe he was running 35" in this pic. If you guys are interested there is another HUGE lifted 3rd gen Dakota on cardomain I think his username is Blackota or something like that he has a big black dakota and he Fabricated his own lift and he is still in the process... AGAIN its just for 2WD tho... I have been in contact with these guys since 06 and watching updates of their dakotas evolve and nothing so is going to be produced for 4X4 Dakotas. Best bet is a SAS. or be happy with a TM leveling kit and a PA body lift and some 33"s.... Sadly the aftermarket has forgotten about the Dakota. Hopefully they will one day change their minds and start poducing something...

Old 01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just incase anyone was wondering. that truck was a total trailer queen. rode like crap. i talked to the guy. he was sick of it so he lowered it.

Quick Reply: A suspension Lift we always wanted but can't have