3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New to Dakotas, new to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Southbound
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Dakotas, new to the forum.

Hi everyone,

You all seem like a nice helpful group of Dakota owners so I think I'm in the right place. Like I said I'm new to trucks and will try to lend a hand when I can.

Right now though my question is regarding fuel economy and what you guys do to improve yours.

I bought my 05 Dakota used with 97,000kms on it but it rides like a dream. My only complaint is that I filled up to full from half and it cost $45 CAD. That was yesterday. I've already gone through 1/4 of the tank just driving around town.

Any hints you guys have would be great! Thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Southbound
Rookie

Sorry, this is me.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhmmm, I switched to all synthetic fluids, have CAI, exhaust, eFan, and power wire, as my main mods, I get on average 22mpg on the highway at 63mph, and about 17mpg in town.

I've got a 8cyl with a 6speed and 4wd.

Also, I found out that driving in hilly towns REALLY kills the mileage in these trucks. I know it sounds like a DUH thing to say, but where I live now, is all flat, and I get 17mpg in town, at my college, it's ALL hills, and I'm talking, 20-35% inclines, and I get about 12mpg there in town.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Southbound
Rookie

Originally Posted by Frenchy
at my college, it's ALL hills, and I'm talking, 20-35% inclines, and I get about 12mpg there in town.
12, jeez.

I'm getting about 17 now too, but I'll definitely look into switching up my fluids and exhaust.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Southbound
Rookie

Anyone heard of this Fitch Fuel Catalyst? Says it improves up to 1 - 2.5 mpg among other things.

http://www.autoanything.com/fuel-sys...A4162A0A0.aspx

Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a huge fan of hypermiling, and consider myself to be fairly skilled at it. However the Dakota is one vehicle I am having a large amount of difficulty extracting cheap MPG out of, mainly because the V8 is so much fun.

Beyond that my tips are this, slow acceleration, slow braking (always try to coast up to a stoplight at a pace you think will allow you to be moving at the fastest possible velocity when the light turns green so your truck doesn't have to start from a standstill) and A/C above 80km/h instead of open windows.

Higher tire pressures help, as do factory sized tires with a mild highway oriented tread design. (I have broken my rule there, 265/75's FTW). If you can, switch to an electric fan.

Oh, and according to Mythbusters it is MORE fuel efficient to keep your tailgate UP instead of down. The only reason I can come up with for this is the tailgate causes a turbulence wave to be set up in the box that reduces vacuum behind your cab. Just a thought. Though apparently the mesh gates you can buy are the best bet. Again maybe because they can still reduce vacuum with less drag.

Just some food for thought. Oh yeah, and don't go to no-name gas stations, I have actually MEASURED 10-15% increased mileage when I get gas from Esso, Chevron, Petro-Can and Shell compared to Husky, Mohawk, Race-trac and other smaller brands. The argument that all gas comes from the same refinery is only partially true, each large full-range producer controls the quality of gas they buy to a better level as well as adds their own proprietary additives that the smaller guys can't afford and don't have the resources to do.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Lovinmydodge
Professional

also a good clean filter will do a big help. an intake on my 3.7 made an average 3 mpg city and 5 hwy. this is with a little larger tire than factory. Also consider this try using fuel additives from time to time. I like to use octane boosters from time to time. I notice that a get a little more mpg

Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Southbound
Rookie

Wow, excellent suggestions guys. All those things are most definitely doable. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
coondog05
Veteran

i get 15 if im babying it so no help here....but welcome bro.....

Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 PM
sleds
Veteran

Originally Posted by coondog05
i get 15 if im babying it so no help here....but welcome bro.....
It's those big tires Coon. I am getting about the same mileage, but you have lower gears, don't you? I have the 3.55's and want to go 4.10's.

Quick Reply: New to Dakotas, new to the forum.