3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Level lifts - What do you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no change in ride quality with the over the strut lift, it is just spacing the entire strut but not changing your spring rate, so you should not notice any difference with one of thoes lifts

Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few pics up on the site already with them on.

IMG00013-20090924-0935.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

I have a new, never used AutoSpring 2.5" leveling kit. Its the over the strut, easy to install type. Ive had it forever in my closet.

$30 + Shipping and its yours.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

The Trailmaster does level it out, I have it on mine. For the TM kit you have to pull the strut apart, it sits in the strut and preloads the spring which causes the resting position to be higher.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Altair
The Trailmaster does level it out, I have it on mine. For the TM kit you have to pull the strut apart, it sits in the strut and preloads the spring which causes the resting position to be higher.
Any problems at all with the TM kit in your opinion? I'm replacing struts soon & debating whether to install this also.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Any problems at all with the TM kit in your opinion? I'm replacing struts soon & debating whether to install this also.
I've blown a shock since putting it in but then again I blew both before it was ever installed so I'm not going to blame that on the TM kit. Really hasn't given me any trouble, I will be removing it down the road but only because I've decided I want to lower the truck and take it in the street performance direction.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Q-TIP
Professional

Originally Posted by Altair
Then you installed yours wrong. The Trailmaster kit sits on top of the strut and does not preload the suspension at all. The only reason the strut needed disassembly was to insert longer mounting bolts and NOT to preload the spring. It states explicitly in the instructions that the kit is to be installed as a spacer on top of the strut.

Edit: This is also probably the reason you blew a strut.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by Q-TIP
Then you installed yours wrong. The Trailmaster kit sits on top of the strut and does not preload the suspension at all. The only reason the strut needed disassembly was to insert longer mounting bolts and NOT to preload the spring. It states explicitly in the instructions that the kit is to be installed as a spacer on top of the strut.

Edit: This is also probably the reason you blew a strut.
As I said I blew the struts before even getting the kit, you will be hard pressed to find someone that believes our OEM front struts to be quality units.

I don't know how much you know about the TM kit but that is the old installation method and can cause problems on 4wd Dakotas, which is why they changed. The proper way to install the kit is to do as I did and install it inside the strut. Installed this way it maintains the stock suspension geometry and does not allow the suspension to travel beyond the stock limits. A spacer above the strut moves the entire strut assembly downward which means the suspension can travel beyond stock limits at full droop. This can cause axle bind on a 4x4 under certain conditions.

If you go to trailmaster's website the have the up to date installation instructions in the technical support section. The kit for a '05-'08 4wd Dakota is part number DL223, here's the link to the installation instructions PDF:

http://trailmastersuspension.com/instructions/DL223.pdf

I personally believe this method of leveling is a better choice for 4wd after looking into both which is why I chose it. Both types of leveling kits can cause some additional wear to suspension components, it's just something to consider when leveling.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Q-TIP, you must of gotten the old directions. They don't install like that anymore. The kit doesnt even come with the bolts anymore, just the spacers, and now they are installed as a spring spacer to add pre-load to the spring.

You must have gotten a kit that was manufactured before they made the change.

Why the change?

With the kit installed as a spacer, the kit now achieves lift by using up some down travel. This ensures that the strut still only gets as long, or fully extended, as it did without the kit installed.

With the way you have your kit installed, as an over the strut spacer, it moves the strut lower on the frame mount. This is fine, but it has 1 issue. When the strut is fully extended, its 2" longer then it should be, putting additional stress on front end components, such as the upper control arm, its ball joint and the inner tie rod ends.

The new way of installing it, as a spring spacer, ensures none of these issues occur, and the trucks suspension stays in spec when at full articulation.

The new way of installing the TM kit is superior. The old way is just like all the rest of the kits, an on top of the strut crown, that lowers it in the strut mount.

Ive had both types.... I know all the pros and cons lol.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 10-31-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Q-TIP
Professional

Hmm, must have been on a shelf for a long time somewhere. Seems to work for me this way and I can't see it being any more of an issue than the 2" over-the-strut types considering it is only a 1.5" kit. I didn't argue that the stock struts were good quality, they are undeniably the worst struts I've ever seen on a new vehicle. Having taken numerous courses and seminars put on by companies like Koni, Bilstein and Ohlins (I race my RX-8 and my motorcycle) I would never screw with the spring rate without finding a properly valved shock absorber, if only for reliability if not for handling and ride quality.

Interesting how the instructions have changed. Would not have bought this kit if I knew it was supposed to be a spring spacer.

3504363313_0387ac2dd8_b.jpg

Last edited by Q-TIP; 10-31-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Level lifts - What do you guys think