3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Electric Fan of choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
sdtalon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(4.7) FAL 180, 180 t-stat, superchip, 3" y-back to dual exhaust, Fujita intake, fastman tb, lowered 2/4. Spare had to be removed to run the exhaust.

I think thats all.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
02 4.7 Durango
Rookie

Ority then well any way (thanks for the intervention don’t know what I would have done without the self proclaimed punctuation police) so has anyone done some head hurting math to compare the amperage draw to the alleged horsepower gain?
There is one truth however you spell or explain it nothing is free if your telling yourself you’ve freed up some power here its no doubt at the expense of another vehicle system. Just my 2cents thanks for all your help I have definatley learned my lesson

Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 4.7 Durango
Ority then well any way (thanks for the intervention don’t know what I would have done without the self proclaimed punctuation police) so has anyone done some head hurting math to compare the amperage draw to the alleged horsepower gain?
There is one truth however you spell or explain it nothing is free if your telling yourself you’ve freed up some power here its no doubt at the expense of another vehicle system. Just my 2cents thanks for all your help I have definatley learned my lesson
Well thats good. None of us are police, it's just nice to actually be able to understand what people are writing.

In my humble "race car builder" opinion, there is such a thing as "freeing up horsepower". Rotating mass, eliminating restrictions, tuning compensation, etc. are all things that don't take away from anything else.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:45 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

About a 1.5 mpg gain with the installation of a Flex-a-Light 180 extreme in my full size Ram. Mainly seen with in-town driving, about the same as before on the interstates.

I notice quite a bit better acceleration from a dead stop as the parasitic clutch fan really robs you at low rpms. I also have noted that I am taking my foot off the gas a lot sooner going into a stop light or stop sign as the truck is able to basically "coast" for longer distances without slowing down as much if that makes any sense. I think that may be where a good percentage of my fuel savings are coming from.

I think one of the biggest benefits in addition to the modest mpg gains and better performance is the fact that when I am stuck in heavy traffic or behind a wreck on the interstate in the middle of summer and barely crawling along in 95*+ heat, my fan is still moving 3300 cfm of air through the radiator, whereas, a clutch fan is moving air in direct proportion to engine rpms, thus keeping the engine cooler with a far less likely chance of overheating.

With the exception of going to 4.56 gears, I feel the efan is the best performance mod I've done to date...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-14-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
popsnbeer
Captain

all these e-fan threads makes me want to get one....just need the $$ to do it!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM
sdtalon
Rookie

i agree with hammer about the coasting. I also thought that even if i'm putting more strain on the alternator in exchange for freeing up hp, torque, and gas mileage... the damn thing is sitting right on top of the motor.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be patient and get one on ebay! I looked for only 2 weeks and got a refabbed one for $115 off retail. Guaranteed like new... either keep your eyes peeled on there or take Eric's advice and grab a junkyard one or something along those lines... we have people on here and ram forums who have done that and it works great. I just hate to see people pay retail when there are easy ways around it. Especially for a $350 fan? No thanks.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sdtalon
i agree with hammer about the coasting.
Yeah, I mentioned that in a thread in the Ram section a year or so back and everybody thought I was crazy.
But its like the clutch fan drags you to a stop sooner when you let your foot completely off the gas and with the e-fan you can basically glide to a stop...

Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

cool! thx. i guess i have not done this yet bc my work blocks ebay. I guess i will have to log on to ebay the next few weeks and keep my eyes open. Any particular one I am looking for?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting my F.A.L. black Magic 180 very soon, Finally found a local dealer in Abbotsford BC that carries them. Price is about the same as the online retailers.

I also found a dealer in Calgary that sells them. "Stripe Tech Ltd." haven't checked there prices yet though.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan of choice