3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How to change the headlight on 2005 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
jallen5101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change the headlight on 2005 Dakota

Can someone tell me the easiest way to change the headlight on a 2005 Dodge Dakota pick up? I can't really even see screws or bolts to get the light housing out to change the bulb. Please help. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lay on ground, and reach WAAAAY up towards the headlight housing from underneath the truck and behind the headlight.

That's how I do it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
canadiandodge
All Star

i am with frenchy thats the fasted way

Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Corks
Professional

i was able take the screws out and pop it out just as fast as trying to reach up and make sure they were secured correctly. My 05 one of the gaskets on the bulbs didn't come out and i spent 10 minutes wondering why the new bulb wouldn't fit

Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM
viper359
Professional

Not sure if there is a difference between the 05 and 06. I have the 06. I do the headlight from the front of it. If the POS bumper is level and aligned right, easy job, 30 seconds and it is off. Save some headache, remove the plastic trim around the light and windshield washer fluid. Makes life a little easier. My left side is always harder, as the bumper is not level, so getting the bolt between the headlight and bumper is always a little longer.

Since I seem to blow that bulb every 6 months, (nighthawk or whatever its called) I have gotten pretty good at it changing it. Be careful pulling the housing out. There are some really, and I mean really, cheap plastic points (not the clip that goes into the metal on the left side) that slide into the metal. I broke one a few weeks ago. Thank God it did not cause any mounting or securing issues. (They are really thin, and located on the top right side of the housing if you are looking directly at it)

I think the biggest pain in the *** is securing the headlight housing back on. Getting these bolts to line up can be a feat. Have a good magnetic screwdriver, and life will be easier. Have a really bright light, (in other words, don't try and do this in a parking garage....experience speaks here) to make life a little easier. Still expect to push around a felt like barrier to fit the side screws in. I assume this piece is for keeping dirt out or making life hell for changing said bulb. Maybe the engineers are having a joke at my expense here!

Once everything is back in, put that plastic piece that goes around the headlight side back on.

I am not anywhere near mechanically gifted. Instruction manuals by Dodge usually confuse me more than help me. One second they talk about undoing bolts, but not which ones, next thing you know, your turning a screw forever, and its not coming out, then you realize, its part of the headlight and has nothing to do with the mounting of said headlight. I work best by trail and error. So, hope this might help someone who is much like me!

Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or doing it my way doesn't require the possible breaking of the plastic, and takes all of an entire 30 seconds to do each light...

Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Just Answer The Question

My question is == What is the best bulbs to replace the crap stock bulbs that factory sticks in headlamps and fog lamps the stock brightness and distance is a killer == they both suck== just tell me the ****en bulb numbers and I will find myself dont need a lecture from some punk ..thanks = Read my name=

Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Just Answer The Question

This is 2005 Dodge Dakota laramie all the same

Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
05dakota4x4
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Answer The Question
My question is == What is the best bulbs to replace the crap stock bulbs that factory sticks in headlamps and fog lamps the stock brightness and distance is a killer == they both suck== just tell me the ****en bulb numbers and I will find myself dont need a lecture from some punk ..thanks = Read my name=
H13's for the headlights not quite sure of the fog lights i think they are 9145's

Last edited by 05dakota4x4; 01-04-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
canadiandodge
All Star

h10s are the fog lights

Quick Reply: How to change the headlight on 2005 Dakota