3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Got my lightbar all installed... :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
canadiandodge
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking the same as eric

Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Not sure where you live but it rains here pretty much 12 months out of the year. Along with that, there's the dew, frost, and other airborne moisture that attacks non rust-inhibited metals. Zinc-coated metal like those brackets/bolts/screws/nuts don't stand a chance against the elements.

This is probably just me, but I won't put any type of hardware on any of my vehicles or toys that isn't impervious to rust. If it's not aluminum, stainless, or painted metal, I won't use it. Once those start to rust, it will compromise the finish (and eventually the body panel, since it was drilled) where those brackets are installed. Over time it will rust the gate, guaranteed.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by Frenchy

...now if only I could figure out that oil pressure sending unit, i'll be set.
What are you having trouble with? Maybe I can help.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJJer
What are you having trouble with? Maybe I can help.
where to mount the sender? I tried taking the oil pressure switch off, and it's not budging...

So I think I may end up having to go with an oil filter sandwich adapter. But if I don't have to, I'd rather not.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by Frenchy
where to mount the sender? I tried taking the oil pressure switch off, and it's not budging...

So I think I may end up having to go with an oil filter sandwich adapter. But if I don't have to, I'd rather not.

It has been a while since I was under the truck, it is tucked away for winter. Anyway...

Isn't there 2 plugs right by the oil filter that you could use? IIRC I have 2 and I will be using each one. One for my temp gauge, and the other for pressure.

Something just dawned on me, I am not sure if you have a V8 or V6. I would go back a page a look, but this board has never been slower for me and keeps freezing solid.

I will take a peek under my truck later, when my bad back gives me 5 mins of peace.

There are other areas to tap into oil pressure, but the most common is near the filter. Other places will give different readings and you will need to know just what they should be for that given area.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Originally Posted by NJJer
It has been a while since I was under the truck, it is tucked away for winter. Anyway...

Isn't there 2 plugs right by the oil filter that you could use? IIRC I have 2 and I will be using each one. One for my temp gauge, and the other for pressure.

Something just dawned on me, I am not sure if you have a V8 or V6. I would go back a page a look, but this board has never been slower for me and keeps freezing solid.

I will take a peek under my truck later, when my bad back gives me 5 mins of peace.

There are other areas to tap into oil pressure, but the most common is near the filter. Other places will give different readings and you will need to know just what they should be for that given area.
I've got a v8... I looked under there like three nights in a row, and all I found was one... if there are two PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! hahah...

I figured I have to at least remove the oil filter to get to it, either way... but ya... I can't figure it out...

Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Unless old age has really taken hold, I am almost positive there are 2 plugs right next to each other.

I'd go and check now, but if I get under the truck, I won't be coming out. May back is that bad.

I'll do a search on line for a pic just incase.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Well, I'm in no hurry. I do want to get it done soon, though. haha. But ya, where else could I mount the sending unit at??

Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Ya, he sent me an email showing the two bolt holes... I never knew what those were... I looked at those for like twenty minutes the other night, trying to decide what they were...

hahaha

Quick Reply: Got my lightbar all installed... :)