3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Muffler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:24 AM
ap0091
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Questions

I need some help on mufflers as this is nothing i know about
Im looking to get a better sound then stock, I want something thats low and its gonna rumble. I know every system is different but for now lets use this as an example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowm...ht_2179wt_1165

I need to know a few things

1. What is the stock piping size?
2. Can I use stock piping, or do i need to get it all changed out?
3. If I use stock piping, do i just need to get the muffler above, take it to a shop and they will only charge labor to install it? or is their something else i need to buy aswell
4. If i change out the pipes, how much should this cost me at a shop ( i know everywheres diff, but i just want an estimate)

Thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 AM
tristatehunter
Rookie

I'm no expert.. but
1: depends on your engine I would think.. v6 may have smaller pipes than those of a v8
2: as long as the new muffler is the same length and the in/outs are position like stock yes.. else you will have to do some fitting.
3: see #2 .. as long as everything is matched up.. but if not.. fitting will have to be done meaning some new pipe sections.
4: its costing me $180 tomorrow for new pipes from the headers back...(dual exhaust.. single is prob less) I am using my current mufflers.. so its all labor, pipes and tips. that seems to be the going rate around my area

Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please choose something different than flowmaster!

god I wish flowmaster would go out of business!!!!

1. Stock piping is 2.5:
2. You can use stock piping, yes, you'll need about 18" welded into place to adapt a new muffler to your factory setup.
3. Refer to #2
4. Refer to #2... You really don't need to change piping unless you want dual exhaust or something different. stock piping is sufficient enough.

Last edited by Frenchy; 12-31-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM
rick4dak
Veteran

Flowmaster SUV muffler sounds great on my 4.7 and does not produce the resonence in the cab that the 40 or 50 series do. After using dual output, I switched to a single muffler and am much happier with the results, both sound and power.
Any muffler shop can do your work so you need to check around for prices. Most of them carry a variety of high-flow mufflers.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

Don't listen to all the haters. I have a flowmaster and just went thru this. I love it. I got the delta 55. the 44 would be a bit louder. Other than the editorial, frenchy answered all your questions. Make sure you get the right offsets. I believe I got the side in and opposing side out.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
NJJer
Veteran

I agree with Frenchy on the flowbasturds.

Remember the ads they ran back in the day saying how they made more hp and tq than stock mufflers? Well those tests we done using stock mufflers from back in the 60's. Anything had better flow than those old suitcases.

As someone who works on racing engines for a living, and has seen with my own eyes many types of mufflers being flow tested, "Flowmasters" are anything but Flow masters.

Eric summed it up very well with his post.

It sounds like you want a Borla by what you described. Look into their XS line. Can be found cheap on Ebay.

If you want a Gibson, I have a single in/dual out that is mint like new. It just sits collecting dust in my garage.

If you want screaming LOUD and mean, try the SLP Loudmouth I. If you want LOUD, try the SLP Loudmouth II.

If you want it to sound untuned, loud, and like your exhaust is falling off, use a cut out.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJJer
If you want it to sound untuned, loud, and like your exhaust is falling off, use a cut out.
Soooo I'm not the only one who thinks that is how they sound, hey???

Never really got into that sound..

Old 12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
NJJer
Veteran

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Soooo I'm not the only one who thinks that is how they sound, hey???

Never really got into that sound..
Cut outs sound like sheet, period.

Just like a 73 Malibu that the exhaust fell off on.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:33 AM
ap0091
Professional

What are headers cats etc??? ive looked around on youtube and some people are like did you have them removed or changed..what is that and whats it do?

Quick Reply: Muffler Questions