3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

overhead display mpg's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Racinartist
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving miss daisy?

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
just thinking about my last fill up... i drive at least 300 miles before toping off the tank, and i cant recall ever putting more than 17-18 gallons in, which comes out somewhere 16.5-17.5 mpg's,(at the worst i have ever done), however the overhead display has never showed anything over 12.8 anyone else noticed this, or is my system screwed up? at least now i feel a little better about the milage...
16.5-17.5 is the WORST you've ever done??? How do you drive, bro? We have the SAME truck (mine is AWD, not sure about yours) and I average 12-13 around town and about 17-18 on the highway. I can't even get 300 miles out of it on a trip and I'm lucky if I get 200 around town. In the winter I get like 11 with warming the truck up every day before I leave. :/

Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racinartist
16.5-17.5 is the WORST you've ever done??? How do you drive, bro? We have the SAME truck (mine is AWD, not sure about yours) and I average 12-13 around town and about 17-18 on the highway. I can't even get 300 miles out of it on a trip and I'm lucky if I get 200 around town. In the winter I get like 11 with warming the truck up every day before I leave. :/
mine is awd too, i always warm mine up too, i normally drive everything like i stole it i'm not easy on it, the odometer always shows around 300 miles or more at fill ups, the worst i have ever done is pull a jeep chrokee loaded full of crap through some pretty good hills and got 280 miles on that tank

Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Racinartist
All Star

WTF bro.

Do you have anything else done to yours other than the SC tuner, CAI and exhaust? I mean drive mine like the cops are on my ***, so I can't really b*tch about the mileage...except when I find out someone with basically the identical truck is getting 30% better than me driving under the same conditions. I have the 3865 and K/N CAI but running stock exhaust for now. Might upgrade to a Magnaflow when this BS economy picks back up and I don't have to eat PB&J everyday anymore. :/

I can't imagine refining of the gas is that much different from Cali than here. What gears do you have? Mine are 3.92s. And it's pointless to ask if yours is E85 b.c you'd be getting worse mileage than regular petro if you had it.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
moFaster10

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I always had a readout of 11-12 after a few weeks on my display. Now with the 3865, after a few weeks after a reset, it reads 12-13. That's all city driving, so I really don't look anymore, just fill it up & drive.
im in the same boat bud .. bout 11.7 after worrying about it for a while you just decide to deal with it .. i bought a v8 knowing that gas milage would suck .. but at least i go mo faster than the v6

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

WTF bro.

Do you have anything else done to yours other than the SC tuner, CAI and exhaust? I mean drive mine like the cops are on my ***, so I can't really b*tch about the mileage...except when I find out someone with basically the identical truck is getting 30% better than me driving under the same conditions. I have the 3865 and K/N CAI but running stock exhaust for now. Might upgrade to a Magnaflow when this BS economy picks back up and I don't have to eat PB&J everyday anymore. :/

I can't imagine refining of the gas is that much different from Cali than here. What gears do you have? Mine are 3.92s. And it's pointless to ask if yours is E85 b.c you'd be getting worse mileage than regular petro if you had it.
running the 3.92's also, not sure what you mean wih the e85, but it is an e85 engine, but i have only run regular 87 since i bought it, gas is normally chitier here in this...oh so wonderfull state, because of all the chemicals they put in it, the only thing different is the 33" tires. but i do remember something about a cali specific engine or something like that, not even sure what it is or if its real

Old 02-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Okay, a couple things. Don't know if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but here goes...

E85 (if you were to run it) gets like 20-25% less fuel mileage than gasoline. So that's why I mentioned it. But if you're just running 87 octane it doesn't matter. Oh yea, and if you DID use it, you'd boost your power output by about 5-7% which is 15-20HP on our trucks. The only bad thing is I don't think Superchips has a tune for E85 yet.

The circumference of the stock BFG tires on our TRXs is 265 (around 30.5") so you've added like 2.5" with the 33s (305-310mm), which took out probably 30 points of gear, putting you back around the mid 3.60s). That gives you a bit better mileage, but not the 5MPG difference we're talking about.

Have you tried the 91 or 93 tunes yet or just the 87? I've done all 3 but didn't notice enough difference in the higher octane tunes to justify paying .30-.45 cents more a gallon than just running the 87 tune.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:06 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

yea, never ran e85, they dont even sell it around here where i am at, i still havent tried any other tunes, but i will here soon. as far as the tires go, i never hand calculated when it was stock, but i look at the display almost every time i drive, and showed about 0.2-0.3 mpg's less when i changed to the 33's.

UPDATE: now i know there is something wrong with my display, like i said before, it has never showed anything over 13mpg's, but today i drive it to town, and when i stoped it showed 18.3, yesterday it showed 12.2 and i havent reset it for about the last 2,000 miles, no way it could go up that fast, so im giving up on that option, i will just check gallons to miles from now on if im interested

Old 02-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF bro.

If he's in Cali though they probably don't switch to the winter blend. No need to.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 PM
moFaster10

so the e85 boosts power.. when i ran it i felt like it made my truck sluggish and the e85 milage sucks a big one i got like 9.5..after two fill ups i quite using it

Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Yes, ethanol/methanol makes quite a bit more power than gasoline. Pure methanol has an octane rating of about 115-119. E85 has an octane between 100-105. Quite a bit higher than our 'premium' gasoline. And it burns much cooler, cleaner, efficient and at a faster rate than petroleum based fuels.

Quick Reply: overhead display mpg's?