3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Amsoil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 AM
sullysdetailing
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Amsoil!!!

In my pasted 2 vehicles (2006 Eclipse Gt and a 2008 GTI) I always used amsoil. When I got my truck I used Mobile 1 Synthetic and Convetional oil. I recieved my free Amsoil Perfered card so I ordered some oil for my and my GF since we use the same oil I ordered 12 quarts. I have noticed about 1.5 mile more per gallon. I havent changed my driving style at all and I got about 30 mile more to this last tank of gas then normal. All i did was change to Amsoil Fluid and Filter.

Also after doing alot of research online Amsoil is on of the best Synthetic Oils for any vehicle. And i dunno why there is so much hype about Mobile1 because it didnt do so well

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic and I'm glad I do. When I took the valve covers off to change the cams, they were spotless. Shining like brand new, so I have been very happy with it. I've heard really good things about Amsoil and Royal Purple. If they work for you, use it. Plus those extra MPG your getting certainly don't hurt either.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Slick Dakota
Captain

Like blown said amsoil, royal purple, mobile one there three great brands, I use to use amsoil in my last Dakota but I like the avalibaility of royal purple and mobile one because its in the store right around the corner.. I use mobile one now in every thing.. Cya Slick

Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
rengnath
Champion

I changed to sythetic when I got my truck @ 86k, and it started leaking from the crankshaft. That was an expensive oil change .....

Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, it wasnt the oil that CAUSED the leak, it was the oil that EXPOSED the leak, from all the cleaning agents.

I am also a Mobil 1 user (now EP).

Change the oil every October. The miles are around 11-15k per change. Nothing new to me and the family. My father has been doing it since the 80's. First on a 86 toyota 4x4, sold it running well at 265k, on a mercury tracer with the ford 1.9 4 cyl, currently 190k, on a saturn SL2, a 03 Ford Ranger, and my Dak.

They all get the oil and filter changed once a year.

We had to take the cover off the 4 banger in the toyota once and it was also spotless. That's what sold us for good.

Saves me a hell of a lot of time and money. It cost me $30-$40 a year to do my oil change on the truck. I get a 5qt. jug and a filter at walmart, done deal.

Years ago I was a lot-boy at a local Mercedes dealership, when I was in college, and they use Mobil 1 as factory fill and service change, and they have it down in the book as 10,000 mile changes. There is nothing special about there oil filters either.

Amsoil is equally as good. Only Mobil 1 and Amsoil are true PAO synthetics, I dont think royal or red line is, there no good for extended oil drains. They shine in other areas.

On the BITOG forum there is an oil sample that was tested around 11,000 miles out of an 05 v8 dakota and was found to still be in good enough shape to continue to be used in the engine.

What more proof could a man ask for?

For me, its all about only having to do it once a year.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
jnd03
Rookie

what oil weight are you using?

Originally Posted by sullysdetailing
In my pasted 2 vehicles (2006 Eclipse Gt and a 2008 GTI) I always used amsoil. When I got my truck I used Mobile 1 Synthetic and Convetional oil. I recieved my free Amsoil Perfered card so I ordered some oil for my and my GF since we use the same oil I ordered 12 quarts. I have noticed about 1.5 mile more per gallon. I havent changed my driving style at all and I got about 30 mile more to this last tank of gas then normal. All i did was change to Amsoil Fluid and Filter.

Also after doing alot of research online Amsoil is on of the best Synthetic Oils for any vehicle. And i dunno why there is so much hype about Mobile1 because it didnt do so well

Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

gues im the only one using gtx? so far been working gd for me. im using it because my dad put it in the durango(5.9l) havent had problems but do runthinner stuff during the summer and noticed it a bit change in it but i rather have more lube then no lube... also im trying to get more information a friend of my friend used alot of ky jelly on his truck and so far seems to be still running? i will get more info?? i sure hope its a joke

Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
lmrjason
Veteran

i have an 87 t-bird that my granddad bought brand new and used regular castrol 10w30 in it since day one...I got the car from him when i was 15 and i have been putting castrol 10w-30 in it every 3000 miles. The engine still runs fine. I use amsoil in my truck though. It all comes down to user preference. I don't think half of us come even close to putting the oil in our trucks close to is limits.

Quick Reply: Amsoil!!!