3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise

Ok in my 05 Dakota quad, I am getting a strange rattle or vibration but not all the time. After it warms up and I'm doing anywhere between 30 - 40 it happens. I am coasting between those speeds and lightly give it gas, it has what I would call a sweet spot where the rattling happens. Also it happens in reverse. I open the window to listen and don't hear anything. Sounds like it is coming from unfer the read driver side seat. I gace it a quick look but can't find anything. Pumpkin has no signs of leaking (although I know that doesn't mean much) and there is nothing in the back bed. at first I thought it was my gas door as it was lose and would rattle when I push against it. hopeing that is it. Back tailgate seams tight, roll n lock could be getting lose, checked where it connects to the tail gate and thee were lose screws. tightened them up also. Sorry for rambling but just wondering if anyone else had someting like this. Don't hear it all the time and exceleration is still as normal. No slipping when I gun it.. confused on what to look for next.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did something like that when I first installed the alcohol pump in the back. Check the sheet metal insert that closes off the bed of the truck from the cab. It just kind of slides in there.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

ok I have good news and bad news... Good news is i think I found the issue. bad news is I have to bring it back to monroe. too bad the person I really wanted to work on it was transfered (Rare, I miss you in CP!!) Seams that once it warms up, there is enough movement that when I hit a certin RPM, it vibrates enough to hit the under carrage. SOO back to monroe for a 3rd time tomorrow to have them readjust it. I was able to get under today and figure out where the sound is coming from. This is also after I put it back into stock mode (have the superchips programmer) At least its a piece of mind knowing it isn't something drastic!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul05dak
ok I have good news and bad news... Good news is i think I found the issue. bad news is I have to bring it back to monroe. too bad the person I really wanted to work on it was transfered (Rare, I miss you in CP!!) Seams that once it warms up, there is enough movement that when I hit a certin RPM, it vibrates enough to hit the under carrage. SOO back to monroe for a 3rd time tomorrow to have them readjust it. I was able to get under today and figure out where the sound is coming from. This is also after I put it back into stock mode (have the superchips programmer) At least its a piece of mind knowing it isn't something drastic!
I assume you mean exhaust? You never actually told us what it was that's moving.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

oops yes the exhaust... My bad.

Quick Reply: strange noise