3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Gear whine anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 AM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
When i bought my second (the gray) dakota, IT had a little whine from the front, and it was the ring and pinion. They didnt set the backlash properly. Heck it didnt have any. the gears were mashed together. You might wanna considder getin them looked at / replaced. But thats on a 4x4 and i would immagine that the rear end would have the same problems.

Yup brought it to a guy last night, he said after 1 block of driving "your gears are toast in the back"

so I guess I am getting gears. he will call me today with a quote, he said ballpark $1000 to do it. That sound reasonable? He is charging 50/hr for labor.

would my rear being toast be a reason that my truck shakes going down the interstate? or do I need to seek more help for that??

I swear this truck is falling apart peice by peice......good thing I got it for 9000 or I would be not happy about it.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Yup brought it to a guy last night, he said after 1 block of driving "your gears are toast in the back"

so I guess I am getting gears. he will call me today with a quote, he said ballpark $1000 to do it. That sound reasonable? He is charging 50/hr for labor.

would my rear being toast be a reason that my truck shakes going down the interstate? or do I need to seek more help for that??

I swear this truck is falling apart peice by peice......good thing I got it for 9000 or I would be not happy about it.

THat sounds like what they would charge for the front end. IDK about the back, but id imagine that that would be about right. Ya might wanna shop around. That might be the start of your vibration problems. Another thing to look at is U-joints. THey might be startin to go bad.

Take a look at the service manual on here. IT will have some good info that might help you diagnose some of your problems.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
THat sounds like what they would charge for the front end. IDK about the back, but id imagine that that would be about right. Ya might wanna shop around. That might be the start of your vibration problems. Another thing to look at is U-joints. THey might be startin to go bad.

Take a look at the service manual on here. IT will have some good info that might help you diagnose some of your problems.

Well I got a call back from him he said we were looking at 610 in parts and about 350 in labor....

I went to ring and pinion, is there a peticular set of gears I shouldn't get, I see that for the 9.25's the 3:90 gears range from 309-725.

Link to what I found

and I would need a bearing kit as well, and those seem to run about 189.

Quick Reply: Gear whine anyone?